+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Broken air con :(

Our aircon crapped itself yesterday arvo and won't be fixed till tues
    have been out all day but have just got home and its 35 degrees in our bedrooms!

We have pedestal fans in the bed rooms and living areas, but they are clearly not making much of a difference.

any tips to get my 6 day old, 2.5yo and dh through to tues with the temps in the high 30's?

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Live in the bathtub.

Sorry I'm not much help - I am a wuss with hot weather so I travel the few hours back to my dads for his air con when it's more than 35 predicted for a few days where I live.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Broken air con :(

I'd go and buy a couple of portable evaporative cooling units- one for 2.5 year old's room, and another to move between living area and your bedroom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Do you have any muslin wraps? Wet them and place them over your toddler, and you even, and maybe on baby as well and let fan blow cool air through wraps.

Thanks
    Reviews

Check the weather forecast before you go to bed, if its going to be hot the next day wake early and go around and shut all your windows and blinds. Keep the, closed until you feel the change come through in the afternoon (assuming it comes) then open then up and get the fans working to get the crosswinds moving through the house. If you are in addition too you could look into buying a portable unit and putting it in your bedroom and have the whole family camp out in there on the pt nights (we used to only have aircon in the loungeroom And would move our mattresses in there on the hot nights)

Thanks
    Reviews

Also a friend recently had success with putting alfoil on his windows to reduce the heat in his baby's bedroom. When I was at uni I used those car windshield covers- (you know the silver ones) as my rentals always had poor curtains

Thanks
    Reviews

We don't have air con and its been 35degrees here quite regular. I can tell you I can't wait to Move in two weeks to a place with air con.
    I try to get any jobs done in the morning or late at night when its coolest. We are eating lots of salads, sandwichs and no cook/minimal cooking meals. DD is 3yrs and we give her a wet washer to put on her belly/forehead when she is going to sleep, she sleeps in just her undies.
    We have lots of quick cool showers or today we just filled the bathtub with cool water and jumped in and out all afternoon to cool down. We also spritz ourselves with a spray bottle whilst laying under the fan. We open the house up at night when it cools down and first thing in the morning close all the windows, blinds and doors to all the bedrooms and bathrooms to try to keep the house cool for as long as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews

We have no air con but ceiling fans in both bedrooms.

My 2.5yo goes to sleep with wet washer on forehead when it's hot and is more than happy to do so.

I have been having a cold bath then lying on my bed without drying myself so I stay cool for a while.

Eating frosty fruits ice blocks.

Keep windows & blinds shut all day until there's a cool breeze outside when it's dusk.

Don't use the oven..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Place wet towels on coat hangers in hall ways where fans blow.

Spend your day at a friends place with air con or shopping centre/library etc.

Cold showers, buy a clam pool sit in it with sprinkler going over you!

Frozen drink bottles wrapped in wet flannel and lean against your body

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We don't have air con and have had 43+ days.

Cold baths and playing with the hose in the evening, spray bottles to spray on ourself while the fan is,on us and fans on at night, sleeping in singlets with lots and lots of water. The what didn't really bother the kids