+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default St Johns wort for anxiety/panic attacks/and all the rest of it?

Anyone tried St Johns Wort for anxiety? Did you get any side effects?
    My main concern is that I have read it can cause heart palpitations and well for someone with panic disorder that is my greatest fear. And I really don't want to end up in emergency. (again)

Did it help with your anxiety at all?

Mid north coast NSW
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi I suffer from GAD & depression & i didn't want to take meds & so i tried St Johns Wort, after a week i noticed a small change but it didn't help much (was on it for about a month) I think it depends on how severe your anxiety/depression is. Mine is pretty bad, so i ended up taking meds & seeing a therapist which has helped dramatically. I didn't have any side effects from st johns wort & haven't heard of anyone having any & i also have a heart condition so i was worried about side effects as well.

It does say though that st johns wort are as effective as prescribed AD. I have friend who had pretty bad anxiety & she's been on them for almost a year now & she swears by it - prescription AD didn't work for her, so i guess it depends on the individual.

I would say give them a go - good luck

Similar Threads

1. Experiences with St Johns wort ??
    By loumia in forum General depression and blues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 08:29
  2. TTC and anxiety/panic attacks
    By curiouschildcare in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-08-2012, 21:25
  3. St john's wort while breastfeeding?
    By fruitfulvine in forum General depression and blues