+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just checked on Google maps how long the walk from our house to the bus, and then from the closest bus stop to school to school actually was... about 30 mins apparently.

It was more tiring on my fat backside than it ever seemed to be for her. lol.

If it's only temporary, I'm sure she'll manage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to deliberately park 30 min walk away from our school and walk up lol

I found for DS, that he got all that crazy morning energy out on the walk and functioned better at school.

I didn't do it morning and afternoon though...i just did one way each day (but then I would walk one way on my own meaning I got my 1 hour walk in lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Prep walking to school??

Thanks ladies I'm feeling better about having to walk now!
    She is a fairly active kid, I've been a bit slack lately though because I'm 16 weeks pregnant - well that's my story and I'm sticking to it haha!
    Thanks for the other ideas too, I may have to raid the shed for her scooter or bike to make it more bearable for her!
    I think a PP mentioned the car company paying for a hire car, I'm not sure what the go is yet as they're not open on Sundays so I'll have to call them first thing in the morning and see but that would be a god send if they did that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I walked my daughter to and from school almost every day throughout prep, round trip it was 2.2km, took about half hour walking with her. she was buggered in the afternoon walking home but we made up games along the way to play and she was fine. Normally we'd play i spy or she'd have to count how many of different things along the way, some days we made up a story along the way, it worked great and helped distract her when she was particularly tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    btw, talk to the other parents in the class and see if any go past or near your house on the way to the school and see if they can help out til your car is up and running again, offer to drive their child once your car is fixed

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD is 4 and I don't drive at all, she's started kinder this year and its over 3 km away, sometimes I squeeze her into the pram but otherwise she rides her bike (it has a handle think in the back so I can help her move along a bit faster) or she walks. In the pram it takes 35 minutes, the bike about 45-50 and the walking well over an hour. Yep she's shattered by the time we get home of an afternoon but she's getting better as she gets used to it (and at least I know we're getting in our recommended exercise lol). 26 minute walk I'd do it for sure, allow a fair bit of extra time so she's not having to rush and she'll probably do fine

Eta I'm 17 weeks pregnant too, I completely understand the lack of motivation to walk!! It's really rough some days but I usually feel better after it

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Does she have a bike or scooter?

Could you both get a scooter? We often go for long walks with the boys, Gabriel is in Prep this year too and he hasn't had any issues with walking to school, which we do a number of times a week and is around the same distance from school as you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Prep walking to school??

Is there a school mum who could help you out at all? I have a mum who helps me out when i am running late so she picks up DS for me. Otherwise we catch the bus. Occasionally we walk home from school. The walk takes me about 20mins and with DS about half hour. Its about 2km from home to school the way we walk.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think a scooter or bike would be better/easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a scooter is a good idea, even if you were on a bike. i have just taken the training wheels off ds 2's bike so it means I have to run while they both ride because he has not got the hang of turning properly! It will be good exercise for both of you, instead of finding 30 you will find almost an hour! well for you it will be 2 by the time you walk there and back twice a day!