+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We fell our very first month trying, but it was unfortunately a blighted ovum. When I had some tests done afterwards, I discovered that I had an AMH of only 6. (I'm 35). I was absolutely devastated, but my naturopath told me that * the results can be affected by whether you're deficient in Vit D (which I was) * it was a new test and there wasn't really a standard sample storage or preparation protocol, so you could get different results from different labs or different collection centres * it's a measure of how many eggs you have left, not what quality they are, and * it has nothing to do with whether you're ovulating each month or not.

After doing some research, I've reached the conclusion that it's a useful number if you're doing IVF, because it tells them how much to stimulate you and how many eggs they're likely to collect. But if you're TTC naturally, then it's not really that meaningful. It tells you how long you've got left to TTC, not what your chance of success is each month. The important thing to check is that you're ovulating each cycle.

After the blighted ovum, I started seeing a naturopath and an acupuncturist to get myself in the best shape I could. And we fell on our 5th month after the D&C. So I can honestly say - lower AMH is not the end of the world. I kind of wish I hadn't had it tested, because it caused a lot of unnecessary angst!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did you know you are low in vitamin d?

thanks for the details...really helpful and gives me some hope!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default TTC with a low AMH level

That's interesting about the vitamin d because at the time of my AMH test, my vit d levels were around 20. I think they're supposed to be over 50-60

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I actually had my Vit D tested by chance at the same time as AMH. I fractured my foot a few days after the D&C (truly aweome week), and so was getting tested for Vit D, calcium, etc. And I thought - why not add AMH to the list, since they're already taking plenty of blood?

When I later started seeing a naturopath, she said that she always recommends getting a Vit D level at the same time as AMH. She started me on a high dosage of D (3000 IU/day) and recommended that I wait a few months before having another AMH test. But, as luck would have it, we got this BFP literally a few days before I got the 2nd AMH done. (Currently 11+5 and so far so good).

At the time of getting my low AMH result, I spent a LOT of time on Dr Google and actually found a paper on a study done in Scandinavia, which showed a clear link between Vit D deficiency and articially low AMH levels. They didn't quantify how much the AMH was suppressed by, but it gave me hope!

Seriously - don't put too much stock in AMH - there are heaps of ladies on here who've proved it to be a stupid indicator of ability to conceive!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for that info Gentoo. I am curious to have my AMH done again now as I was put on 5000IU per day of Vitamin D and my levels went from around 20 to around 75 which I believe is where it is sitting now or round about ...
    My AMH was 4.5 so I wonder if it's gone up at all ..
    You'er right though, I don't believe the AMH is an indicator of ability to achieve either. It's a relatively new test anyways so not to be taken too seriously.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well there has been more discussion in this then I expected. After reading your vitamin D comments I just checked my results (my dr gave me a copy of all results) and my Vitamin D is 82 which appears to be okay.

I made my FS appointment today and will be visiting 27th February. I just pray each night that I will receive a BFP is month. This is such a roller coaster ride and I am very impatient.

I am keen for my acupuncture appointment Friday to see what he thinks.

I do feel a little better from reading your success stories - thank you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to parents2be2012 For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (18-02-2013)