+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cake gurus, help!

I love baking, but have never ventured into fondant. DS2 has asked for this cake (or as close to it as I can manage, and just the cake, not the rest).

I'm ok at picking things up from instructions, but don't know where to start... Any tips for self-teaching this stuff?
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Cake gurus, help!

Use a pudding tin or a lady varden cake tin. Either way you will need a round cake board with a hole cut in the centre for doll feet to poke through and you will need to suit the cake board on a shallow bowl.

I would ice the cake with a thin layer of butter icing then use a fondant or marshmallow icing (just google it and you will get heaps of recipes) for the dress.put the doll in the centre of the cake. Tint the icing(with various colours in batches) with powder colour not liquid, otherwise the using will end up runny.

Use a rolling pin to flatten out the icing and cut into 2 inch wide ribbons. starting from the bottom add each piece of flat fondant icing to the cake gluing fondant icing to fondant icing using a tiny amount of sugar syrup flaring the ribbon as you go.

This is how I would do it if I were doing the cake

ETA you can also but a powder that you add to the fondant icing to make it a bit firmer so it sets semi hard to hard. It helps get the ribbons rolled thinner and hold their shape. You can get this from speciality cake decorating suppliers, Ebay etc.. It has various names as well. tragacanth gum, cmc powder, tylos..

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 17-02-2013 at 14:15.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you so much! How do you flare the ends of the ribbons?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

I would just use my fingers and squeeze the edge of the icing ribbon while sort of pushing together.it kind of creates a flared look. Have a bit of practice with a small bit first. Just so you get the hang of it.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Cake stores also sell fondant in a bucket, i used this for my daughters birthday and it was easier than I expected. Be wary of the weather, if its rainy it will make anything you want to dry take a lot longer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

A balling fondant tool will do the ruffles really easily or even the tip of a plastic fondant rolling pin (if you have either or can find either. Spotlight or a cake shop will have them.

Butter cream the cake first for sure! Then add each layer starting from the bottom. It should be pretty easy. Try and watch some YouTube videos for tips. They have a few for Barbie cakes

Oh and I agree about the pudding bowl. You can also get glass Pyrex Bowles that would be good shape too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

What's the pic? I can't get it to show? I have a great fronting recipe that worked well for my Hoot cake even in hot weather but don't want to recommend it if not suitable for your cake?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cat21 View Post
    What's the pic? I can't get it to show? I have a great fronting recipe that worked well for my Hoot cake even in hot weather but don't want to recommend it if not suitable for your cake?
    Try this:
    http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2414630/g...hing-cupcakes/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks so much everyone!

Is it too ambitious to think I might be able to teach myself? Or is that how most people do it?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think too ambitious, but definitely get/make some fondant icing well ahead of time so you get a feel for it and so you can practise the techniques without the pressure of that being the finished product.

Nice dry weather is the friend of icers - damp queensland summers are not

Mind you, my attempts thus far have been rather....crap.