+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Close Age Gap or Wider?

Loving everyones responses, please keep them coming!

I keep reading threads by mums with close age gaps and how they struggle. I know it gets easier as they get older but I'm not sure I would want to get pregnant again in the next six months... A year and six months, maybe...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    There are pros and cons for large and small age gaps. In my opinion, larger age gaps are easier to manage when there is a newborn in the house, but smaller age gaps are a blessing as the kids get older as they are at closer developmental stages and have similiar interests. Makes it easier for them to agree what to watch on TV!
    Yes that's what I think. I've heard a few people say they had too long between their kids and it got harder as the kids got older and all had different interests, etc. I've never heard anyone say their age gap was too close. There's two years between my two and yep it's pretty hard 6 weeks in but I figure it's going to get easier really soon and I can't wait for them to play together.

I guess though I am missing out on lots of time with DS. Which is really sad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is going to be an interesting one for us as well.

My sister and I are 2 1/2 years apart, and most people I know with that age gap have seen their kids play together a lot etc. Certainly what we were like.

Our bub is almost 5 months, and my partner would like another as close as possible to "get it over and done with" (the baby stage). There's no way though that I want to make it harder on myself than necessary. And, like you, I want to enjoy my babies.

I guess that's the biggest difference - as hard as it is I love the baby stage and don't want it over with too quickly. When older though, I would like our kids to be close in age. I know you can't determine what sibling relationships will be like, but a 2.5 year gap worked SO well for my sister and I.

Guess we'll see what happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We have 31/2 years between DD1 and DD2 and then 23 months between DD2 and DS1. I agree with coc about the larger age gap being easier with a newborn. DD1 was toilet trained and very independent, but now she's 71/2 the age gap has really opened up between her and her sister (who is almost 4). DD2 just isn't able to keep up with her sister in terms of how they play and winds up copying her which drives DD1 crazy. DD2 and DS have far more in common (he's 2 in a month) and get along brilliantly.

Number 4 is due in August and there'll be 2 and a half years between this one and DS. I'm hoping it'll be easier than it was last time.

Personally I wouldn't want a 5 year age gap between my kids as I'd feel like I'd moved right out of the baby years only to go back into the again. For us I'd rather stay in the zone and have the kids a bit closer (not too close tho) while we still have cots up etc. but there's no right or wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girl will be 4.5 when this one is born .. Prob could have done it at 3.5 .. But I enjoyed it just being my girl and us !! I really couldn't handle 2 under 3 though:. I enjoy my sleep and freedom to much . I am getting great sleep my girl is easy .. I am ready to go back to no sleep and nappies ( I think !!)...
    Also I like the idea of experiencing the baby stage again ..I feel I will remember it more... then I would have with another little one ... My two elder sister are 4 years apart .. Worked well .. Also the eldest remembers the birth etc of the other one ..
    Last edited by Maybelline; 17-02-2013 at 08:03.

Thanks
    Reviews

Can you compromise and maybe say TTC when your ds2 is 2? So then he will be almost 3 by the time your next bub comes along.

Even though I only have one DS I want a minimum 4-5 year gap between babies because I'm loving the one on one time I'm having with DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My boys have a 2 and half year gap between them. I am told that even that is a small age gap. But I always planned for a 2-3yr age gap.
    I don't mind it, honestly. I don't think I could handle it if they were any closer together though.
    If I were to have another one though, and I had a choice on how far apart they were, I would be maybe going for a 3yr gap. (In reality depending on finances, there is more likely to be a 5-6yr gap, if we feel that we can)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have a 2 year gap, a 16 month gap, an 18 month gap and will soon have a 2.3 year gap.

I coped ok with the small age gaps but in hindsight I wish I'd had at least a 2.5 year gap between each of the kids. I feel that I didn't get to enjoy the toddler years with the older ones as I always had a newborn as well.

I'm loving having a two year old now without a newborn as well. It's such a wonderful age and I feel I missed out on it with the others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We didn't choose a big age gap...it's just how it happened after ttc for 3 years. I decided not to think about the age gap and focus on the pros of whatever gap we had when it happened. We have 5.5 years now between the two boys and i love that I get time with the newbie when the big one is at full time school.

Thanks
    Reviews

Im interested too in everyones response. Im 13 weeks along with #1 and because of life plans it appears we maybe TTC #2 about 3 months after this hatchling has its 2nd bday so should be just about 3 when #2 comes.