+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Close Age Gap or Wider?

I have 2 children. 6 years apart. DH wants another sooner rather than later this time and I want another age gap of say 3-4 or even 5 years.

I decided not to return to my corporate executive-level career after #2. My priorities have changed. This time we are not aiming for a mortgage - we have one. Etc.

I am open to consider a closer age gap however, I would love to hear the pro's and cons.

DS2 is nearly 1 and DS1 is 7. DH would prefer to start TTC so that by the time #3 is born, DS2 is 2.

Honestly? I'd rather enjoy DS2 for as long as possible before another baby. I returned to my career when DS1 was 1 and feel like I missed out on so much and dont want that this time around.

DH would rather "get it all out of the way".

Me? I'd like to enjoy my babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DS1 was 2 when DS2 was born both June babies. I love the gap and I am a bit sad that the next gap will be larger, DS2 is 2&3/4 so by the time we get around to having another he will be 3&1/2 - 4 which means DS1 will be 5&1/2-6 that scares me! Mainly because they have the same things in common now, play together and I'd be scared that a bigger gap would make them a but further apart. It's hard some days but I wouldn't change it and do wish that we had that gap again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Close Age Gap or Wider?

Subbing, I'm only utd with number 1 but its never too early to start planning ahead lol

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I had 2 14 mths apart and then a 2 year gap. Much, much prefer the 2 year gap as at 14 mth they were still really babies and I would have liked to have more time with them as babies before the next one came!

Thanks
    Reviews

Monster and Boof - I love the big age gap between my two boys. DS1 loves being the "big brother" and DS2 worships him and DS1 still plays with him all the time.

DS2's bedtime is earlier than DS1's (strict routine with DS2 since birth) so DS1 still gets "us time" - its kinda the best of both worlds.

Thats how I feel Chewie. I really want to enjoy my babies. I would like (as selfish as this sounds), not to have 2 in nappies, and DS2 in kindy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to salamat For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm interested in this too, like MrsT I'm only pregnant with number 1 but am already thinking about when we might start to think about #2. I think I want an age gap of about 3-4 years as I've seen my sister struggle with my handful of a niece who was 2 years 2 months when her brother arrived, so I think I want a bigger gap between mine to allow #1 that bit of extra time to mature a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have 3 under 2.5 years- 13 months then just under 17 months til number 3 and it's great. I enjoy them so much.... True it's damn hard work and I've pretty much given up my life for the last few years but the bond they have is amazing.... The older 2 are into the same toys, games, activities etc so we have lots of fun together. If I had my time again I'd do it exactly the same

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It depends on you & your support I think. The almost 5 year gap that we have is great in so many ways, but challenging in others (as I'm sure you are already aware). Honestly I can't imagine a gap of under 2 years working for us. I don't manage sleep deprivation well & my 16.5mo dd is just starting to sleep through the night, but she wakes at 5 - 6am, so I would be very tired. For me another major issue was that I don't manage pregnancy well. When I was pregnant with #2 and my ds was 4 I struggled to look after him and fell asleep on the couch while he played more than once. Thankfully he was in Kinder 3 days a week, but I was working part-time too. I had no choice but to get people in to help look after him. I suppose if you have a 2yo you are likely to get a nap while they nap ... as long as it doesn't fall during school runs.

I think I'd wait til your youngest is 2, so you end up with a nearly 3 year gap (in theory). Still close, but not super close.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a 3 year 3 month age gap between my 2 and so far it's great. DD loves her baby brother and is old enough to play on her own and do things for herself. I couldn't have done any closer age gap than that

11. The Following User Says Thank You to carleena For This Useful Post:

Isabellabean  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I have a 20 month gap between my 2. I love it! They gap is enough for them to be different people (a year between them at school, different groups for Aus kick etc) yet they are best buds and play together all the time. Next gap will hopefully be three years. Ds2 will be old enough to be quite self sufficient yet young enough to play with his younger brother/sister.
    Plus at some stage they will all be at primary school together then by the time ds1 reaches high school the youngest will be there two so less driving around and more time for ds1 to focus on his study.