+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting called one of "those" mothers... So annoying!

So a friend came to visit, and she asked what was in my cleaning spray bottle. When I replied water, vinegar, and eucalyptus oil, she says "ohh, you're one of THOSE mothers"...

I also recently when to a kids party where the invitation asked for toys made of natural materials, please no plastic, which was met with eye rolling from the other guests.

I'm too embarrassed to tell people we're doing baby sign language as it also gets eye rolls and smirks.

I just wish people would stop judging eachother (ESPECIALLY mothers, we should know better), and respect eachother's choices!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    just be proud of your choices...you cannot change the other people, just your reaction to them.

I am one of "those" mothers....and when people say I am, I simply respond "sure am, and damn proud of it too" lol

People who are my friends accept me as I am...and people who aren't, well, if they don't like me based on who I am, then we were not friends to start with.

Thanks
    Reviews

I guess you could call me one of THOSE mothers.

I don't let others' reactions to my choices get to me.

I excuse it as ignorance on their part.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love how people can feel superior about using a cocktail of unknown chemicals in their homes, on their food prep surfaces.

Don't worry OP, you sound A-OK by me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think specifying anything about presents is a bit off!

But people will always do those eye rolls and make judgements about things that they don't do, as it validates everything that they do. Just human nature and mums are the worst culprits!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My only problem with being asked for specific materials in gifts is that I wouldnt have the faintest idea where to look for an 'only natural' gift....unless the child would like an all natural chew toy because I have seen those at pet shops.

I think they might think that 'those people' are eye rolling at others who use a "cocktail of unknown chemicals" so they get a defensive stance. Kind of a 'oh well excuuuuuuse me for buying my cleaning products at the shop and 'poisoning' my family' kind of thing.

Just do what you want and dont give a cr@p about what people say. Everyone is one of 'those' mums one way or another.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (16-02-2013),Guest654  (16-02-2013),squirrelex  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think sometimes the issue comes, not from choosing wooden toys and using natural products but from the fact sometimes people can be quite self righteous about it. Comments like ooohhh, you use J&J's products?? *I* refuse to use those on *my* baby, they are so full of crap. I *only* use the best organic stuff that is $30 a tube. And I should add.... I use mainly natural products and tend to have somewhat 'hippy' beliefs

I feel often the backlash is from parents making other feel crap about their choices, to build up and reinforce their own. Rather than accepting that some don't like to use vinegar, or don't like to use a sling, they like to put down those people. It makes them feel superior basically.
    Last edited by delirium; 16-02-2013 at 13:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I also have a huge bug bear about people that try to dictate the gifts they receive. I find it rude and ungrateful. Sadly, wooden toys are pretty dear and not everyone can afford 50 bucks for a wooden train

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (16-02-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I also have a huge bug bear about people that try to dictate the gifts they receive. I find it rude and ungrateful. Sadly, wooden toys are pretty dear and not everyone can afford 50 bucks for a wooden train
    I agree! I'd love to use all organic, natural, fancy stuff for my kids but I just plain can't afford to.
    That being said I've found some lovely (cheap) wooden toys for DS in my time but boy can it be hard to get them without the gazillion dollar price tag along with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I requested nothing that required batteries for DS's 2nd birthday because he has a bazillion things that make noises when buttons are pressed. He got lots of books, play dough, a drum kit, a ukulele and duplo. It was awesome.

I'd never actually specify a particular type of material though.

And I'm one of 'those' mothers too