+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kids pass the parcel - should every kid win

Yes I think every child should get a prize. I think it's really unfair that 3 out of 12 children got nothing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's weird to only leave out 3 layers. If you're giving MOST of the kids a prize for doing little more than unwrapping a layer, then give them ALL a prize for it.

But at our house? You only get the prize if you unwrap the last layer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    It was always just one winner at the end when we did it!!

I think the need for every child to never have to "lose" is getting ridiculous.
    Me too. I nearly had blood on my hands for dd's 3rd birthday (and first party). I'd already packed the parcel, then went to her friends party the day before hers and realised the in thing was present in each layer so had to race home and change the whole thing! Bloody stupid but anything to keep the peace at my house on party day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    It's a bit odd having prizes in 9 out of 12 layers - maybe it was an accident?

The first time I did a pass the parcel at at birthday (when my 12 year old DD turned 1), I only put one major prize in the middle. It sparked quite a reaction from the mothers who thought every child needed to win a prize.

I don't necessarily think that every child should win a prize, but for the sake of peace I have always just put a freddo frog / box of smarties between each layer with a bigger prize in the middle since the scandal at DD's first birthday.
    Im planning my sons first birthday and not including any games. Can 12month olds play games?? I wouldn't have thought so.

I don't think it hurts to include a small prize in every layer. Isn't a party supposed to be fun? Not about teaching major life lessons.

Im excited for future party's! They will probably be considered by many to be OTT, but whatever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    It was always just one winner at the end when we did it!!

I think the need for every child to never have to "lose" is getting ridiculous.
    Hmm we'll I don't see pass the parcel as a winner/loser game! I see it as something fun to play at a kids birthday party.

It's not a competitive sport or activity. It's just a fun way to thanks your guests for helping celebrate your special day.

I'm more shocked that people see it as a winning/losing game as if its some sort of competition
    Last edited by waterlily; 16-02-2013 at 22:38.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Hmm we'll I don't see pass the parcel as a winner/loser game! I see it as something fun to play at a kids birthday party.

It's not a competitive sport or activity. It's just a fun way to thanks your guests for helping celebrate your special day.

I'm more shocked that being see it as a winning/losing game as if its some sort of competition
    Yeah, that's my feelings on it too. It's a party which are supposed to be fun!

The other activities at DD's party will be everyone getting something too. I'm doing a leprechaun hunt with each leprechaun having a clue to the next one with the final one having a prize for all of them. I think they are going to have a great time

Thanks
    Reviews

I make sure every child gets to unwrap a layer - thats what makes it fun for the children playing.

But it irks me when parents let the birthday child win. Have some class!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    It's a party not the Olympics!
    We do a lollypop/small choc in each layer and a bigger thing at the end. And party bags and I invite the whole class.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Yeah, that's my feelings on it too. It's a party which are supposed to be fun!

The other activities at DD's party will be everyone getting something too. I'm doing a leprechaun hunt with each leprechaun having a clue to the next one with the final one having a prize for all of them. I think they are going to have a great time
    That sounds fantastic!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post

I'm more shocked that people see it as a winning/losing game as if its some sort of competition
    I did made a second post where I conceded this.

It's not about winning or losing but I don't think every kid needs to get something.