+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    This is the reason i started the 'why is it not ok for there to be winners and losers' thread. Every child gets a lollie bag at the end of the day anyway (dont get me started on that!!) so i dont see why every child should win a prize. Another reason i think kids birthday parties are becoming way over the top and rediculous. First we HAVE to invite ALL the kids from the class. Then we HAVE to provide party bags. Now we have to provide presents for all the kids. Lets stop being stupid at these birthday parties and remember...ITS ABOUT THE BIRTHDAY CHILD!!!!! They ahould be made to feel like they are the most special person in the world for those few hours. Its THEIR party and THEIR chance to get presents.

DRIVES me crazy
    While I do agree kids parties are getting out of control, a packet of freddo frogs are $3. Considering most are spending a least $100 on food, decorations etc it's hardly a lot to make it a more inclusive thing. On my kids birthdays I try to focus on having fun with their mates, not it being all about them and them getting presents lol I'd be very upset if my kids acted like that.

I will add as to the debate of winning or losing - it isn't your (a general your) job to teach a random child the notion it's ok to lose during a 2 hour party once a year. That's the parents job and will hardly eventuate bc they had one game of pass the parcel where you deliberately left it out...
    Last edited by delirium; 16-02-2013 at 14:24.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MsTruth  (17-02-2013),VanityFey  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kids pass the parcel - should every kid win

Oh gawd, pass the parcel was the biggest drama at DD's 4th birthday. I put a small gift in each layer, but there were so many kids I got confused about who had already had a turn. I had parents trying to signal to me which kid should be next, kids (including DD) crying because they wanted to open it every time, kids holding on to the parcel and not letting go, kids grabbing it just as the music stopped so my intended recipient missed out... Massive fail. The oldest child there (who was 6) came up to me afterwards and told me he only got one prize and that's not FAIRRRRR... I hope his dad wasn't listening to what I said to him in response.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Traditional at-home birthday parties don't seem to be the norm these days anyway. I'd say 99% of the ones DD has been to are at a playcentre or have a specific activity or entertainment (dancing, fairy, magician, jumping castle) anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Totally agree with Delirium
    Children's birthday Parties are about sharing the birthday experience with your friends , playing games , sharing party food and having fun with them, not being worshipped by them!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (16-02-2013),delirium  (16-02-2013),River Song  (16-02-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    This is the reason i started the 'why is it not ok for there to be winners and losers' thread. Every child gets a lollie bag at the end of the day anyway (dont get me started on that!!) so i dont see why every child should win a prize. Another reason i think kids birthday parties are becoming way over the top and rediculous. First we HAVE to invite ALL the kids from the class. Then we HAVE to provide party bags. Now we have to provide presents for all the kids. Lets stop being stupid at these birthday parties and remember...ITS ABOUT THE BIRTHDAY CHILD!!!!! They ahould be made to feel like they are the most special person in the world for those few hours. Its THEIR party and THEIR chance to get presents.

DRIVES me crazy
    I've yet to encounter the over-the-top child's birthday party. I've no doubt I will at some stage but I'm happy to report that my children's parties and the ones they have been to have been modest affairs with emphasis being on fun for all the children. My DS doesn't really understand what having a birthday means (technically, as in you have one each year, how long a year is, that it's a celebration of turning one year older and it's counted from the day you were born). We also had games where there were only 1 winner (eg pin the tail on the donkey) and games where there where everyone wins (eg treasure hunts). The emphasis for us is on the children having fun and being engaged in the party. If that means I have to fork out for 6 freddo frogs then so be it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Kids pass the parcel - should every kid win

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Oh gawd, pass the parcel was the biggest drama at DD's 4th birthday. I put a small gift in each layer, but there were so many kids I got confused about who had already had a turn. I had parents trying to signal to me which kid should be next, kids (including DD) crying because they wanted to open it every time, kids holding on to the parcel and not letting go, kids grabbing it just as the music stopped so my intended recipient missed out... Massive fail. The oldest child there (who was 6) came up to me afterwards and told me he only got one prize and that's not FAIRRRRR... I hope his dad wasn't listening to what I said to him in response.
    I did pass the parcel once, it ended up a bit like your experience.

Never again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

DRIVES me crazy
    Do it your way then when it's your kid's party. We've been to so many birthday parties since having kids and each one does things slightly differently but certain thing never change namely someone usually cries at some point and most of the kids have fun. at the end of the day none of the kids really remember the details (I don't remember much about any birthday party when I was a kid, even my own).

Kids birthday parties are supposed to be fun, not social experiments. I just want my kids to have a wonderful time and if making their friends happy makes them happy then that's what we do.

Personally I loathe pass the parcel - so bl00dy boring!

As for people commenting on how they were done when we were little, I do remember hating the party game part of the party as they seemed to go on forever and everyone knew the birthday girl or boy always won.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post

I think the need for every child to never have to "lose" is getting ridiculous.
    I hate that kids can't fail these days, but pass the parcel is a game and its meant to be fun at a party. So every layer gets a prize here.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Kids pass the parcel - should every kid win

No-one should ever win at pass the parcel, because it should never be played. Too much hassle, IMO. Just let kids run like maniacs and eat way too much sugar. But on the one present thing, why risk causing tantrums at a birthday party? Who can be bothered policing pass the parcel? Not me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Kids birthday parties are supposed to be fun, not social experiments.
    Totally agree, nor are they a chance for the parent to teach other children the virtues of winning and losing.