+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me the best things about your sporting club

Hi all,

I am looking for ways to help boost morale at our sports club.

There have been some pretty big issues between parents lately and the tension is starting to effect some of our coaches.

There have also been a few communication issues between coaches and parent and kids.

So, looking for some ideas to try and move forward and help the relationships repair a little (i know that people won't all be friends but civil would be nice) as the tension is spreading and stressing me (and others) out.

tia

Thanks
    Reviews

Casual bbqs. Family fun days. Working bees.
    I think people often forget that the coach (or whatever position) is a person. And if they get to know them then they aren't so quick to be nasty. And they take the time to listen in a more relaxed setting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah, reminding people that everyone has feelings and is there because they love the kids and the sport is sort of what is needed.

I have offered to put together a monthly newsletter with "coach profiles" (we have about 12) and also a update from our head coach.

I have also suggested a really comprehensive satisfaction survey and then a BBQ at which some feedback will be given (ie really pay attention to what the responses are and take action lol)

I have also suggested a camp...mainly focused on the kids but on the last day have an big group activity (like a ropes course) and get all the parents into teams to verse the kids.

The head coach had the biggest vent at/to me yesterday....so i know he is struggling...i want so badly to help!

Thanks
    Reviews

It sounds like opening up new lines of communication will make a huge difference. Coaches need to support each other, parents need to be able to express their opinions, and everyone needs to feel like they have been heard. And that changes are being made.