+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Transitioning from breastfeeding to cows milk

Love to hear how you did this, what age, did you use a cup/bottle etc?
    I am a bit clueless as DS1 was bottle fed and had milk from a bottle at bedtime up until he was 2-3.

Another reason I ask is I was thinking about introducing a dream feed of milk...hopefully my ebm as bub is still not sleeping well! Last night he had me up every hour

Bub has only ever had a bottle once when I had surgery and I am reluctant to now introduce a bottle (and possibly formula) because we have made it this far. Maybe I could give a sippy cup?

I have tried everything and he is still not sleeping..it is now affecting the whole family..my 3yo is woken many times a night and is very tired and woken up with a cold this morning and bub is very tired also with bags under his eyes!

Help! I want to continue bf. I just need sleep as I am not functioning well and have work and study responsibilities too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We transitioned dd1 to cows milk 2 feeds a week at 11mths when I was at work. It then went to 4 feeds (morning and afternoon naps) a week at 12mths again only when I was at work. We used sippy cups. I bf all other times.

I weaned dd1 at 19mths and she continued with milk in a sippy cup before bed. Still has s cup of milk before bed. I use devondale UHT as I like the texture and you can have heaps of back ups in the pantry.

I feel your pain. Dd1 fed 1-2hrly from 6-7mths till 9-10mths old and I was losing my mind. We worked on cutting one feed at a time. At this point she was feeding 9pm, 11pm, 12am then hourly till 4am then 6am.

First to go was 9am. It took 4 days. Dh resettled her via rocking, carrying etc. I fed at 11. Then we worked on the ones between 11-4am a week St a time. Dh did all the resettling. This was relatively ok.

Worked out later that she was cutting 16teeth in 6mths. Explains the terrible nights
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 16-02-2013 at 12:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is bub? Could he be teething? Would a dose of panadol last thing at night help?

I introduced cows milk around the age of 12 months in a sippy cup, DD1 was 11 months because I was back at work and I couldn't express much for her. She refused formula and bottles so we just went straight to cows milk in a cup.

Not much help sorry, good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks would love to know what your day looked like/what times/how many drinks of cows milk you gave? Did you still bf at times?

Hoping bub sleeps a little better tonight, fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    We transitioned dd1 to cows milk 2 feeds a week at 11mths when I was at work. It then went to 4 feeds (morning and afternoon naps) a week at 12mths again only when I was at work. We used sippy cups. I bf all other times.

I weaned dd1 at 19mths and she continued with milk in a sippy cup before bed. Still has s cup of milk before bed. I use devondale UHT as I like the texture and you can have heaps of back ups in the pantry.

I feel your pain. Dd1 fed 1-2hrly from 6-7mths till 9-10mths old and I was losing my mind. We worked on cutting one feed at a time. At this point she was feeding 9pm, 11pm, 12am then hourly till 4am then 6am.

First to go was 9am. It took 4 days. Dh resettled her via rocking, carrying etc. I fed at 11. Then we worked on the ones between 11-4am a week St a time. Dh did all the resettling. This was relatively ok.

Worked out later that she was cutting 16teeth in 6mths. Explains the terrible nights
    Thanks that is great info! He is not hungry so it could be teeth or sleep associations as we bed share occasionally and he sucks/feeds alot! Need to keep up the rocking but it is a vicious cycle because I get so exhausted from the waking/settling so just bring him into bed with me!

At the moment we do a 5/6am, 9am(naptime/bf to sleep), 1pm(naptime/bf to sleep), 4pm bf snack and 6:30pm(bedtime/feed to sleep) breastfeed. Help! I'm abit confused about which bf's to keep/drop/replace with cows milk..especially considering bub breastfeeds to sleep?

With DS1 I have always given the cows milk at naptime but I know a lot of other people give it at meal times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Do you want to wean? If so then replace the non sleep ones first.

Otherwise just nightwean and leave your bed bf alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I nightweaned my dd first, not offering milk in any kind. I followed Jay Gordon's night weaning info (google it) and I also did controlled comforting. We were at our wit's end with our dd who was 14 months old at the time. Nightweaning made a massive difference, then I wasn't in such a hurry to drop the daytime BF's. So, from early December she had no BF's overnight (apart from a handful of nights for varied reasons) and then from the 2nd week of January I replaced one BF at a time with formula in a bottle. Yes, formula in a bottle . We tried cowsmilk and she refused it over & over again. She loves a bottle (she spills milk everywhere otherwise) and she loves WARM formula rather than COLD milk. I managed to fully wean my dd by the end of January (at 16 months), but the nightweaning was the thing that made a difference. It wasn't easy, but neither was waking every hour! Feel free to PM me if you want more info