+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Milk Protein Allergy and breast feeding/formula issues

Hi i have a 10month old bub who has a possible milk protein allergy. She has been BF since birth and solids started at 6mths.
    She had a reaction to formula mixed with rice cereal at 7 months and Dr advised to keep her off cow milk till older. At 9mths she had another reaction to cows milk that was in baby risotto packet and got swollen face, eyes, itchy face and eyes and rash on face, body that then turned into eczema. So have had skin prick test which was neg and blood test which was also neg.
    Dr has asked for a challenge test to be done at 12 months in hospital and no dairy till then.
    He advised to supplement feed her with soy formula but bub doesn't like it. Well i'm not sure if it's the formula or bottle that she doesn't like. I have tried various teets and sippy cups but she just wants boobie!
    Which is fine by me but she has dropped to the 10% line after always being on the 50% till 5 months then slowly declining till now.
    I feel like i don't have enough milk for her and just want her to gain and be content etc.
    Anyone else out there with similar issues and negative test's but still reactions? I'm not sure now if it is even an allergy or something totally unrelated....
    Please help/advise on BF and any advice would be greatly appreciated......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My DS is cows milk intolerant/ allergic. I had to completely eliminate it from my diet when he was a newborn and slowly reintroduced dairy into my diet when he was 9.5 months old. He has not been formally diagnosed (just that his symptoms disappeared when I cut it out of my diet) but on a couple of occasions
    he's had contact with milk and ended up covered in welts. Not even consuming it, just skin contact...
    Most bubs grow out of cows milk protein allergy/ intolerance closer to the age of two, so he won't be tested until then, and in the meantime he won't be eating any foods with dairy in them. He, too has dropped in the growth charts, which has the paediatrician concerned. We're keeping an eye on it for the moment. But he's still breastfed a few times a day and my supply has kept up with his needs.
    He's now able to tolerate soy yoghurt, and I'm trying to include other healthy fats into his diet. It is possible to have a balanced, healthy diet without dairy, and if you want to continue breastfeeding, there's no reason why you can't.
    Another option is prescription formula, but they smell (and I assume, taste) revolting and I never had any luck getting any of my babies (all 3 of mine have had issues with dairy) to drink it, but I don't blame them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

BTW, my DS is 15 months now. If you want to continue breastfeeding, there are certain foods (google lactogenic foods) and medications that can increase supply. Also, drinking lots of water is vital for milk production.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

my daughter was diagnosed with a protein intolerance at 8 weeks. Almost 50% of children with cows milk allergy are allergic to soy. She tried it once and yep hd a huge reaction. Fear not there are 2 formulas for children like ours, one is neocate and the other is ele care. They are disgusting but the royal childrens recommends putting a spoon of golden syrup in, I'm afraid it is the only way they'll take it. My daughter is also wheat intolerant and neither have gluten in them. There is no substitute for breast milk but they get used to it, good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    My baby is also cows milk protein intolerant and refuses soy formula. She is fully breast fed but for the occasional bottle I am currently coming up with ways to flavour the formula and have found blending some fruit like a banana or strawberrys into it to flavour it to be the most successful!

Drinking plenty of water, getting your rest, special nursing teas and eating certain foods (as mentioned by a pp) can help increase your supply.

We are waiting to see a dietician at our local children's hospital as the allergy doctor wants to maximise DD2's calories as her weight has dropped to. Maybe something for you to consider?

Good luck! I hope she passes the dairy challenge in a few months
    Last edited by Ricebubblez; 23-03-2013 at 19:03.