+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rude or am I over sensitive?

Without going into long drawn out details my situation is that i'm pregnant with the help of a sperm donor. My female partner gave birth to our first child. I'm finding some comments offensive but I don't know if it's just my hormones or if they are actually offensive?

Here's some examples of what ppl say to me:

1. Your baby is a half sibling to your first child.

2. Your family is so engineered.

3. Your partner should carry all the babies so they are properly related.

4. Don't say donor (as in sperm donor) cause that sounds horrible, you should say 'dad' instead.

5. Did you have the same partner as your partner had?

6. Does your first childs father know your pregnant?

The weird questions are driving me insane and I'm becoming depressed and have some anxiety issues every time I tell ppl I'm pregnant because I know ill have to deal with questions like this

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think most if those questions are insensitive! But I would prob be guilty of asking number 5 myself not that it mattered really I am just nosey (sorry)
    but your children will be siblings, properly related and saying your family is engineered sounds cold.

Don't let it get to you to much (easier said then done) but your family is what you and dp make it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Rude or am I over sensitive?

No I don't think your over sensitive. Some comments are just pain rude. I think the one about being half siblings, depending on context, could have just been a tactless observational comment. The one asking whether you have the same donor, I find pretty acceptable. some of the others, in the right context, could be acceptable but others, no. It really depends on the situation, the people and the tone in which they were said.

Not sure if I helped or made it worse.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think those questions are very, very invasive and frankly nobody's business. I can't imagine many people would ask a heterosexual couple how they decide to procreate and would definitely not tell others how to relate to each other, how to carry and have their children. Not on

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think those questions are very, very invasive and frankly nobody's business. I can't imagine many people would ask a heterosexual couple how they decide to procreate and would definitely not tell others how to relate to each other, how to carry and have their children. Not on
    Agree 100%

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    This ^^^^^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would peeved if anyone said those things to me. I think they are rude and clearly people are talking before thinking!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    Without going into long drawn out details my situation is that i'm pregnant with the help of a sperm donor. My female partner gave birth to our first child. I'm finding some comments offensive but I don't know if it's just my hormones or if they are actually offensive?

Here's some examples of what ppl say to me:

1. Your baby is a half sibling to your first child.

2. Your family is so engineered.

3. Your partner should carry all the babies so they are properly related.

4. Don't say donor (as in sperm donor) cause that sounds horrible, you should say 'dad' instead.

5. Did you have the same partner as your partner had?

6. Does your first childs father know your pregnant?

The weird questions are driving me insane and I'm becoming depressed and have some anxiety issues every time I tell ppl I'm pregnant because I know ill have to deal with questions like this

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

How rude!

I'd be curious and ask close friends number 5 too if I'm honest, but only because most of the same sex couples I know have used the same donor because that way the children have a similar medical history. I get curious about weird things like that lol.

But the rest of them just plain strike me as rude, especially the 'engineered' comment. My goodness! How is your family any more engineered than a hetero couple's family? You pick the father. You have a child with them. Same thing! That's just stupid!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think all ofthese questions are rude! But don’t take it to heart, whether your partner ismale, female or your single people see that you’re pregnant and they think it automaticallygives them the right to be rude and assume they know best.
    I even getrandom strangers coming up to me at the shopping center to tell me I should or shouldn’tbe doing something! People just need to mind their own business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    God, people can be rude. I guess it's curosity, but offensive all the same. Can you come up with a generic response e.g he/ she is ours and that's all that matters?

I am surprised at the things people say. It's a bit different, but lots of people asked me if my baby was planned even though I've been with my partner for 3 years and this baby is so wanted it's not funny!