+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Night weaning advice for a 11 month old

So my 11 1/2 year old is still breast feeding like a newborn -- 2-3 hourly, day and night.

To say I am exhausted is an under statement.

He feeds this regularly, as well as eating three full meals & two snacks of actual food & at least a drink bottle of water per day.....!

I'm happy to keep breastfeeding him during the day if he wants it, but I need to night-wean, I'm done! (No judgement please!!!).

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about night weaning? Oh, & CIO/CC isn't an option, thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm interested in this too as I am in a similar position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Dr jay Gordon method worked for us. We nightweaned dd1 at 14mths. It took a week and there were no tears at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Monkey'sMummy  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Haha had a laugh when I read 11 1/2 year old.
    Anyways subbing as I am in the exact same boat with DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I night weaned DD at 12 months. I'm afraid the no cry methods just did not work, but not all that much crying was involved, and i went back in for lots of cuddles. Within a few days she went from full time cosleeping and feeding hourly, to totally night weaned and still sleeps through at 16 months, and has slept in her own cot all night ever since. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, no judgement at all, you are doing an amazing job and I can totally understand you're exhausted. I cut down to 4 BF a day at around 5 months. He was demand feeding but the last feed was a dream feed so pretty easy to cut it out. I would say your DS is feeding for comfort rather than necessity. Some questions for you...
    Are you doing a dream feed? If so, if it's around 10pm, I would cut it out or drop it back and hour until you can have the last feed at 6.30pmish.
    Are you feeding through the night? If so, perhaps instead of a feed try rocking back to sleep, cuddling, dummy, comforter etc. that way he might get used to the difference between day and night time. If my bub wakes during the night I will give an extra quick feed (5 mins) in complete darkness so he knows that it's not day time.
    IMO I think bubs should be fine with 4 BF's (Im not an expert) perhaps you can stretch out the 3 hourly feeds to four hourly.
    I find that my DS only takes a lot of milk in the morning and night. The day feeds aren't as long so if you're doing three hourly I'd say your bubs is getting heaps throughout the day but one of those feeds he might only be getting a small amount which is taking up heaps of your energy.
    hope this makes sense. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

OP - my 8mth old is still bf every 2-3hrs during the day too. And age takes full boobs/feeds each time. Dd1 was waking for 2 overnight feeds at 11mths so I understand your need for zzzzzs.

I managed to drop a few wake ups overnight to one night feed a month or so ago with dd2. When bub woke 3-4hrs after the last night feed at 6.30-7pm I offered a dummy and patted back to sleep. That way I stopped the 11pm ish feed. It took a week to drop. Then I left it for ten days or so to get into a pattern. Now I'm currently pushing back the 2pm feed to 4am hopefully. We are at 3am ATM. It's dummy and patting to calm her down/stretch her out. But if ever it took more than 10mins to resettle or she escalates to a cry I'd offer a feed. no point waking up the whole household.

But if all these make you feel uncomfortable or doesn't work with your parenting philosophies then don't worry about it.

Moosey- I'm surprised your bubba was only at 5bf in 24hrs at 5mths? Were you routine feeding or demand feeding? Dd1 was 1-3hrly during the day and dd2 was 2-3hrly plus the 1-3 overnight feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sevven View Post
    Haha had a laugh when I read 11 1/2 year old.
    Anyways subbing as I am in the exact same boat with DS.
    Bah ha ha ha - yes, a massive typo!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks, I'll try googling dr jay Gordon.

As for the question on dream feed -- he doesn't give me the chance to offer it, he wakes up! He's usually down by 7, & awake again for feeds at 10ish, 1ish, 4ish, & then up for the day around 5-6......!! So tired.....

Yes will definite be googling jay Gordon & hopefully that helps, thanks!