+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes that's right. I am supposed to update the paed Thursday as to how it's going.....I'd like to get some of it into her by then!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to use a small spoon, I'd dissolve the tablet on the spoon with a tiny amount of water then when he was due for a feed I would get the bottle ready wait for him to open his mouth for it and tip the contents of the spoon in right before I put the bottle teat in his mouth worked a treat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shes sooo overtired. Do i give her psnadol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd give her panadol just to relax her enough to actually get some rest. pop some for yourself too.

hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just be aware that losec can take 1-2 weeks to really work it's magic. I noticed a difference after a few days but it took a good 2 weeks to really notice a dramatic change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I'd give her panadol just to relax her enough to actually get some rest. pop some for yourself too.

hugs.
    i was thinking that but then realised she isn't 4 kilos yet and she is only 4 weeks today which made me a bit nervous. In the end I didn't give her any and she is asleep now so will see how we go. I'd hate to think I gave it to her and she reacted all night or she went hypo on it. So hopefully now she will settle until next feed.... Ill persevere with the losec... If I can get it in her mouth....

Thanks
    Reviews
    See how she goes, but if you think she needs it you could give her half the recommended dose of panadol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Best way to give Losec...
    Cut up tablet and pull the plunger out of a baby nurofen syringe. Draw up 3 ml of cooled boiled water and wait for tab to disintegrate. Squirt a little bit at a time into bub's mouth (about 5 ml, tipping the syringe back and forth to keep the granules from getting stuck in the hole of the syringe. If you still have a few granules left, draw up a little more water and tip the syringe again to make sure the whole dose is given.

Also, if you're using Mylanta, make sure you don't give it within a half hour before or after the Losec as it can reduce the effectiveness of it.

If the Losec doesn't seem to make heaps of difference within a week to 10 days, talk to your Dr about other meds. Both my reflux babies needed both Losec and Zantac in combination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First off, let me say that having been where you are right now, the situation is hard, especially when you're not getting enough or the right support from your partner. It really sounds like you're at your wits' end. That said, you're getting a lot of well-meaning advice that seems to be overwhelming you. Mylanta, Losec, Panadol, reflux medications... if you're going to try all of these things, you could be making the situation worse by trying to help it. Not to mention that you don't know how these medications are going to interact with each other.

Why not try the following ideas, if you haven't already:

* Place a rolled-up towel underneath the mattress of her cot or bassinet, or raise the legs of the cot using bricks. Place her head as high as possible on the raised end, and use a sleeping wedge or a pair of rolled towels to secure her for sleeping on her side.
    * Swaddling can really help, particularly if the problem is temperament, rather than reflux. You can find a good video tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYPqGtFBYQ
    * Before changing your formula again, try a vented teat, such as the ones put out by Nuk. When feeding, hold her with her head slightly raised in the crook of one arm, and keep the bottle tilted up lightly. Try to keep the temperature of the formula to as close to body temperature as possible: sometimes a simple temperature change is enough to make a difference.
    * Remember that your little one is quite capable of picking up on your stress, so make some time for yourself, even if this is only five minutes to sit out and have a cup of tea. As long as she's safe, and within earshot, it's okay to walk away: you're doing her a favour, long-term. You also need to consider 'paying the me-bill' - doing something entirely for yourself, so that you'll feel refreshed. This might mean asking a friend, neighbour or relative to take her for a half hour or so while you go for a walk, or for a slightly longer period, so you can take in a coffee and a trip to window-shop.
    * PLEASE try to be gentle with yourself as well. Try to engage in positive self-talk, and also include her in this. Even small infants can pick up on and be soothed by your tone of voice. If this is too hard for you right now (and I sense it might be), try singing a favourite song.
    * Back to the physical symptoms, try a 'warmie' on her tummy or lower back: Place a folded towel against the side of your kettle after boiling it, so it picks up on the heat, but isn't too hot, and then lay it on her tummy during or after feeding.

Things that will not help:
    * Prop-feeding. Never give a child this young a bottle to feed herself, even supervised. It can make reflux symptoms worse, cause wind in infants that don't have reflux, and long-term, can cause eye problems and a lack of emotional connection to you.
    * Alternating bottles, formulas, and worse, medications, without giving them a chance to work. Especially medications that aren't designed for infants.

I hope this helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was told that when crushing losec with water, you are to use the tiniest amount of water as possible so it is almost like a pasty/liquid consistency.. but yes, it can take up to 2 weeks til you see results.

what happens when you try to give it to her? I gave it to ds with a syringe and squirted it down the side of his tongue towards the back of his mouth but very gently.