+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I don't know what's wrong and no one will listen.....please help me.....

My baby is almost 3 weeks old and we have had so many problems with her so far. I believe she has reflux but no one will diagnose her this early....why? She will only sleep upright or on her side, and even then it's limited to about 30 mins at a time and she is up all night and will grizzle/ cry or let out the highest pitched scream I've ever heard. We thought it was just wind but now I'm not so sure. I know newborns cry alot and don't sleep but this isn't right....she is my second baby and my first had alot of feeding problems too.
    We did have her originally on karicare gold but changed to Normal karicare in case the gold was just too complex for her. We thought she was doing ok and her paed gave her some wind drops to help, and she does burp and fart very well. She is gaining weight so no one seems concerned.....But then we still have the high pitched screaming...it takes me about an hour to settle her after each feed and she is feeding every 3 hours, so this should tell you how limited our sleep is. if im exhausted i hate to think how tired she is....Is it reflux? Do I go to the chemist and get thickener to see if that works? Do I then get number 2 teats to help her get the thicker formula down? I'm not breast feeding at all but I'm just at my wits end. I'm so tired and upset my baby is in pain and no one will help me. We took her to the hospital and they told me I was over feeding her and needed to go to sleep school....um shove it. I just need some help because I have PND and I know something is going on with her but no one will listen.....I tried to call the paed again but am waiting....I don't think he is as concerned as I am.
    what can I do?
    Please help I'm just sobbing all the time and I feel awful as I can't settle her. We can not put her down on her back to sleep at all. My options are my chest on the recliner, her bouncer or the pram. I'm a zombie and trying to do it by myself but I'm just not coping. When we were in the hospital to come home from the birth she needed to go to special care to help her breathing as she got all mucousy and snotty and had to have her nose suctioned. Well last night we had the ambos to her as she did it again.... She did come back to normal quickly but still it's very scary. So I sat up all night watching her.
    I just don't know what to do.
    Last edited by Hopefully Waiting; 15-02-2013 at 14:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I don't know what's wrong and no one will listen.....please help me.....

Get some Mylanta from the supermarket and give her 1.5-2ml half an hour before a feed and see if it helps. If it's NOT reflux, it won't do a thing, but if it IS reflux it will give her some relief.
    My DD2 was on reflux medication at a month old, and my DS was on it at 8 days old since we had the family history and he screamed for 48 hrs straight when we got home from hospital.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-02-2013),happy wanderer  (16-02-2013),Hopefully Waiting  (15-02-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You can put a folded towel under the top of her bassinet mattress to raise it or invest in a swing. Also a HA formula might be easier on her as its easier to digest and you can try it with a thickener. I'm not sure if you can give her mylanta at 3 weeks old. it might be an idea to use a hug a bub carrier to allow her to sleep more upright during the day. And you can take her to a gp who might be willing to give a diagnosis or refer you to a paed urgently- is she gaining weight? Do you have someone to mind her to let you sleep for a few hours?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Hopefully Waiting  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe she has Colic? Is she worse in the afternoon and at night?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    One suggestion would be to research Lactobacillus reuteri as a colic treatment.

It's a strain of bacteria which has been shown to have a significant effect on colicky symptoms. That's a pretty big deal given that all other treatments typically used (simethicone drops, some treatments for silent reflux etc.) have - at best - minimal and patchy evidence of any benefits. That is, when you look at scientific studies comparing them to placebos. The evidence is thus far only for exclusively breastfed babies, but it could be worth looking into.

A European company has the patent, and they sell drops under the name BioGaia. Unfortunately they're not available in Australia... there are clinical trials going on here at the moment.

If you do think it's worth a shot though, you can buy the drops online. There's a very highly rated eBay user who sells them.

Good luck with everything!

eDIT: one link to look at
    http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...olic-treatment

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: I don't know what's wrong and no one will listen.....please help me.....

Possibly try an anti reflux formula or a thickener, then get a vari-flow teat. Avent and tommee tippee both make them.
    Big hugs, my dd has silent reflux and I couldn't get her diagnosed until 6 weeks, she is now on zantac and we give her 50ml ebm with thickener at night before bed and at 8 weeks is finally settling down. She now throws up a lot but isn't in pain.

All I can say is big hugs, try the mylanta and infants friend and hang in there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Ill go to the chemist and see what thickener I can get. Does the variable flow teat work for a 3 week old?

Thanks
    Reviews

Try infant Gaviscon -- if in a few days it gives bubs relief then it's silent reflux - & go tell your GP so they can medicate her properly.

I also found GP's useless for silent reflux -- I got a referral for a pediatrician & saw them instead.

Reflux sucks, I hope you (both!) get some relief soon!

In the meantime invest in a baby carrier so you can wear her upright, it's more supportive than just holding them for daytime. And for nights, try to elevate the head of the cot/bassinet.

Good luck, I know how tough it is!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: I don't know what's wrong and no one will listen.....please help me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefully Waiting View Post
    Thanks. Ill go to the chemist and see what thickener I can get. Does the variable flow teat work for a 3 week old?
    You can use the variable flow teat from birth, they are just designed for thick formula. We couldn't get the thicker stuff to come out of a standard teat, took my poor little munchkin 20 mins of frantic sucking to only get 20mls.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Sounds all too familiar. Ds2 was exactly the same except I bf. I found thickener to be useless. Still came up just not always Vomitted. Still he was in so much distress. Had to wait 6 weeks for a paed appointment so was 10 weeks old before he was put on medication. In the meantime infant gaviscon was a lifesaver. And adult mylanta in very small doses like a previous posted has said. I used a carrier to keep him upright and he slept in his swing a lot.
    Push for a paed appointment ASAP. Gps are not always qualified enough to make the diagnosis and there could be a wait for a paed once you get the referral.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to One of THOSE mums! For This Useful Post: