+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I'm also surprised that the raising of the tax free threshhold didn't get more press, it was pretty significant!
    Because they raised the tax payable by the higher brackets so essentially the only people who benefitted were the ones earning between $6k and $18k (old and new tax free thresholds). All other tax payers are pretty much paying the same amount.

I'd hazard a guess that there's not that many people earning below $18k
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bugs Mummy View Post
    This is wat i thought to my accountant said it really makes no difference as they are recouping the money somewhere else from us she didnt specify so that is probably why
    I'd have to check the figures properly - but when it was shown to me where the tax changes were made - it pretty much looked like they'd moved the figures around, but did not end up actually with anyone (except the ones earning in the below below poverty line area (I don't just mean low income earners)), being any any better off. They're not worse off, but was smoke and mirrors.

Will look properly in a few hours - I'm off to get the kids now, so won't be back for awhile.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (27-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The increase in the tax free threshold benefited everyone. The Gillard govt haven't been perfect, their dropping of payments for single parents were a huge stuff up. But I think they have done some good things like the threshold, which whether the rich like to admit it, has saved them quite a bit in tax. There's the tax cuts, just in a different way.

But I think some of the public has been swayed by Abbott's ability to jump on every tiny little mistake and stick his face on TV bagging the labor government. I actually don't see, and have failed to ever see, any real policy from Abbott, except to cut aid to the poor and reduce tax to the wealthy. A workable nationwide policy development that is not.... Cutting the mining tax? apparently it has made quite little anyway, so I don't see how that is going to put us in the black?

It's all just postulating with very little substance, and many are sold by it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-02-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Actually the change in the tax free threshold did not benefit the "rich" at all - it made no difference to them (see above) and now I am seriously logging off to get the kids

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    TI actually don't see, and have failed to ever see, any real policy from Abbott, except to cut aid to the poor and reduce tax to the wealthy. A workable nationwide policy development that is not.... Cutting the mining tax? apparently it has made quite little anyway, so I don't see how that is going to put us in the black?

It's all just postulating with very little substance, and many are sold by it.
    "Oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them".

All he has to do is shut up and he'll win by default.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    It got plenty of press. But the Labor government can't keep their head above water for long before they create another disaster of their own making. The press has to move on.

Does Murdoch control the Fairfax press? Why is this Murdoch's problem?
    How much of the print media does Murdoch own? About 75%!

And who controls fairfax? Tony Abbott's buddy Gina Rinehart has a big say!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 26-02-2013 at 17:16.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is probably slightly off topic, but it really bugs me how we have a situation where there are really only 2 parties with a chance of ever being in government. For the forseeable future anyway, I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Yes, Father, show us exactly where the 20,000 extra jobs created in the APS weren't needed, or are a drain.
    Well. You can get rid of the department of climate change. They aren't needed and are definitely a drain. We haven't warmed for 17 years, and are throwing good money away that could be used for something much more beneficial.

It would take me a great deal of time to go through the 20,000 extra public servants that we now have. It would be interesting to do it, but I don't think I could find the time. The fact is, though, the public service has grown massively since the early days of Rudd. I have not noticed anything being better than it was. I have definitely not seen a the effect of a 20,000 manpower increase. Have you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    "Oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them".

All he has to do is shut up and he'll win by default.
    Sadly I somewhat agree there.... and anyone that knows me knows I'm a bleeding heart leftie Labor voter... who will be voting greens this election. If KRudd had been leading I suspect it would be a whole different kettle of fish

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    How much of the print media does Murdoch own? About 75%!

And who controls fairfax? Tony Abbott's buddy Gina Rinehart has a big say!
    He does not own 75%. He actually only owns 30%.
    He does, however, sell 75% of the papers. It just so happens that the majority of the population would rather buy his product. Nothing wrong with that. It is their money, and they should be able to buy whichever product they prefer.

Rinehart does not control Fairfax. She has absolutely no power in Fairfax at all. She did though, waste a heap of her money buying some of their shares whilst they were still on a massive slide downhill. Fairfax is struggling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I actually don't see, and have failed to ever see, any real policy from Abbott, except to cut aid to the poor and reduce tax to the wealthy. .
    I don't think you are looking very hard then. I'm sure you know what his policy is on just about everything. They are 'real' policies. You probably just don't like them.