+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    because it's not only the result of hard work but also the result of advantage and a good dose of luck.
    I never said hard work wasn't a factor, rather that it isn't the only one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    Two people same upbringing same DNA, same race, same ability hard work would make a difference to one, I agree with everything else you have said I just don't agree that working hard is not a factor in earning a decent wage
    That's her point - it's pure luck that we weren't born without the ability

You have people with crap up bringing no leg up slogging their guts out on a mine that's not luck it's graft
    Totally agree that hard work plays a major role. However, I do note that a lot of miners tend to have the same surnames as their colleagues, so for some the luck of contacts has played a part in getting the role. (or for others it could be the fact they are on a 457 visa and easily exploited for less pay).

I also do not equate wealth with hard work. lamjam's statement was very fitting because I believe if wealth = hard work, as an example, nurses who have young children to care for at home would be paid much, much more than they are. A lot of hard work goes unpaid, yours included.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (26-02-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For anyone who's interested in the topic, I really enjoyed this:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3228917-outliers

But I'll leave it at that, rather than keep derailing

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    It is unfortunate for those that may lose their jobs. But the reality is, these jobs are a drain on the economy. The Rudd/Gillard has added more than 20,000 people to the federal bureaucracy. This costs a hell of a lot of money. And I, for one, have not seen our society as being better for it.
    I would suggest increased unemployment is a drain on the economy too...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-02-2013),Busy-Bee  (26-02-2013)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I will leave you to it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Your spot on!

The government shouldn't be responsible for paying lower income earners a school bonus. Pay for your own child's education! And who is paying for it is the higher income earner paying a ridiculas amount of tax.
    Education is a basic human right.
    There should not be any difference in the education a rich child gets or a poor child gets. We will never break the poverty cycle with that attitude.
    If people can not afford basic needs for their children to be educated then I absolutely agree the government should help with that.
    It is the governments responsibility to provide education!
    Its is the most basic human need without free and easily accessible education we are doomed as a country.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-02-2013),Ellewood  (26-02-2013),Stiflers Mom  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I would suggest the majority of the Australian population would agree with me.
    That's really frightening thought tbh.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was out all day, it doesn't mean I have changed my mind. Just that I have things that a rather more pressing than this forum. Sorry.

But, I was thinking. I am in no way against wealth, having a wealthy country etc etc. I am a person who cares about the environment, who understands the need for mining etc. I don't love it, but it is what it is, and it is keeping a lot of people in jobs. What I don't like is the way that libs and the national party always go for the jugular and always with the people that need our help the most, the disadvantaged, the disabled, mental health, single parents.

What history would that be? Disagreeing with you?
    I will take the lack of a response as an indication that you have realised that your views on the economy are not practical and that money doesn't grow on trees. I assume that beebs has also come to realise that too.

I for one am glad that the spend spend spend philosophy of the current government will soon come to an end.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (26-02-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    *sigh*
    I am telling my better self that I shouldn't be responding but she's not listening.

It is unfortunate for those that may lose their jobs. But the reality is, these jobs are a drain on the economy. The Rudd/Gillard has added more than 20,000 people to the federal bureaucracy. This costs a hell of a lot of money. And I, for one, have not seen our society as being better for it.
    Unfortunate?
    How is maintaining a hospital or school so it's functional a drain on the economy?
    What an incredibly callous thing to say.

Show me your analysis of how the 15,000 jobs were merely a drain on the economy in Qld. Your comments suggest either troll behaviour or a chronic lack of regard as well as a basic understanding of economics. I can only speak of the people I know who have lost their jobs but they were ALL productive members of society. Queensland now has the highest rate of unemployment in 4 years but that's ok because that's the federal government's issue.

I don't know what some people think public servants do all day. I think there is some misconception that they all have cushy 10am-2pm desk jobs of making people fill out forms and filing. I have found the public servants some of the hardest working people I have ever encountered. I have worked with plenty who regularly went above and beyond the call of duty to get jobs done.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doesn't labour do exactly the same thing though? I'm pretty sure they've made many cuts to the less advantaged. No government will ever get the balance right, everyone who loses money from cash cuts or taxes will complain, everyone is equal as in we're all affected by something the government does and that's just the way we go round.
    No one is more important than the other person.