+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think it will take long at all for Australian businesses to be in major trouble. People already struggle to afford Australian made and people are flocking to shop online from overseas. If people haven't got enough money to make purchases, we don't. Once we're bumped back onto AWAs, along with possible job losses, the likely killing off of yet more trade unions by the Libs... what a mess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard anybody say tax rich people more unless it's with regard to the taxes on major mining companies (I've only seen the budgeting comments when well off people have said they're broke - the mining big dogs claimed this, too).

With regard to the free child care etc we'd have to look into how other countries manage it. If a third world country such as Cuba can successfully manage things like free dental long-term surely we can do better than this IMO.

I feel for the people about to lose their jobs... I would be very stressed in their position. I am stressed as it is about the possibility of this man being PM.
    Here is one example of wanting to tax 'rich' people.
    http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...228-2bz5x.html

I don't know much about Cuba's welfare system, but if you think it would be a good place to live, then off you go. We could do a lot better with a lot of things. But the economy needs to be positioned appropriately to be able to fund such programs. Increasing spending whilst in deficit with a substantial debts is not the smartest thing.

It is unfortunate for those that may lose their jobs. But the reality is, these jobs are a drain on the economy. The Rudd/Gillard has added more than 20,000 people to the federal bureaucracy. This costs a hell of a lot of money. And I, for one, have not seen our society as being better for it.

Not sure why you are stressed about Abbott becoming PM. It would be quite a feat to be worse than the current government.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    An extra 5c in the dollar for millionairres hardly seems extreme to me.

Ahh the good old "if you don't think Australia is perfect, just move overseas". My favourite.

My stress is justified as my job would be one that could be under threat and/or made much more difficult, currently looking to change jobs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    The prevailing response is "tax rich people some more, if they can't afford it they're not budgeting right".
    My absolute most annoying thing about Bubhub!!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (26-02-2013),Guest654  (26-02-2013),Lillynix  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are there people on here insinuating the lower classes have been better off under Labor? Certainly not the word on the street in one of the safest Labor seats in the country.

The Australian political scene is a joke. We have a liberal government for a decade, then a labor government for a few years, then a liberal government, then we will have a labor government again. This is our democracy. Labor and Liberal are not going to stop the offshoring and outsourcing of Australian jobs and products - the proof is in the pudding. How has any of this benefited us? It hasn't.

I don't know what's going on here, but Cuba is looking pretty good. Wish I knew how to move there.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    I am stunned that people are even considering voting Labor after how poorly they have managed the economy in the past few years. As a PP said, money doesn't grow on trees. Cuts are controversial, but necessary so that the Government can continue to provide important services. I just do not understand the mentality that the Government's job is to give, give, give. $70 billion needs to be made in budget cuts because the Labor government wasted money, Senator Wong is borderline hilarious in her comments criticising the Liberal fiscal plan.

I am thrilled that Liberal will be returned to power.
    Can you qualify where you've got those figures from? Australia has managed its economic position magnificently over the last few years and the strength of our dollar is a reflection on how highly other countries perceive Australia's economic strength.

I'm not sure if it was the Rudd or Gillard government but a recent tax cut that got bugger all media coverage was that the tax-free threshold increased nearly 3 fold. I 'think' that worked out to be about $50 more per week per person earning a taxable income, regarless of where you were in the economic scale.

Having had my own job drastically cut, some friends now unemployed and other friends expected to do 2 or 3 times the work they did a few months ago thanks to the Newman Government in Qld, I am really frightened about coalition economic policies. For the record, only some of the people who have been affected were working in the public sector, many (myself included) work in the private sector but we are feeling the knock on effect. One of the people I know who has lost his job performed a critical role at a hospital. He and his colleagues were all made redundant and I am not exaggerating when I say that lives will likely be lost due to this decision.

Right now I can't afford a hair cut, DF cuts my hair yet the Newman Government managed to find $120k for new office chairs.

I admit, I am on the left of politics but that does not mean they can do no wrong, absolutely not! I just honestly really don't get why Julia Gillard and her government have such a low approval rating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    An extra 5c in the dollar for millionairres hardly seems extreme to me.
    Ha. An EXTRA 5c in the dollar. That is half their income! Would you still say the same thing if the top tax rate was 95%? What level of tax would you consider too high?

How would you feel if the government took half of your income?

It is quite amusing that less than an hour ago, you said this:
    "I don't think I've ever heard anybody say tax rich people more unless it's with regard to the taxes on major mining companies"

That is quite a turnaround.
    Last edited by Father; 26-02-2013 at 11:12.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    /snip
    I got it from the OP, where Abbott said $70 billion in cuts would need to be made and Senator Wong made it sound as if Liberal were cutting because they hate families, when in truth, they are making the cuts because Labor has just spent, spent, spent.

I have been right-wing since I can remember knowing about politics, but I've become less conservative and more libertarian in my old age. At the end of the day, left-wing values equality more than anything else and right-wing values freedom/individual liberty. When it comes down to it, the full strength of every individual is the best thing for society. I truly do not believe that any left-wing party unleashes the full potential of every individual; I believe they cripple everyone at low end and high ends of the economy to ensure "equality" above all else, and everyone suffers as a result. An Australia that gives every Australian the ability to reach their full potential is absolutely the best thing, IMO, for society, and that's what the Liberal party stands for.

I can't afford a haircut either at the moment. Has nothing to do with the Government.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wantingtostart View Post

I don't know what's going on here, but Cuba is looking pretty good. Wish I knew how to move there.
    I'm coming with you. We could possibly go through Mexico.

I'd like to escape the constant whinging re income tax, Cuba is the perfect place for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well we could stop wasting money on sport for a start. That would save a bit. It boggles my mind that we begrudge our most vulnerable citizens a few measly dollars a week but fund a bunch of swimmers to go take drugs and party...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-02-2013),RobinSparkles  (26-02-2013)