+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Okay - much as I obviously have an interest in politics and political threads, I have already posted a message regarding keeping the thread on topic.

I will post one more warning - as posts which are personal have been posted after my last reminder to keep things on track.

I will remove anything personal which followed my last warning, and anything which has been reported.

For the record though - for those that haven't heard the "handbag hit squad" term before - it is not one coined by Father - it was coined by Abbott's team, following a period when there was a lot of press regarding his comments on women (think back to when his wife spoke out, or the ousting of Peter Slipper). So therefore for those in doubt as to why that term may be left following cleaning - it was not directed personally to any members here.

I stand corrected Father - the topic of the thread does not encompass anything other than Abbott's plans for the economy, so that's where we'll leave it.

Any discussion re: abortion can be discussed in a new thread.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    The figures I have done are correct, as you do not calculate your tax in every bracket - you subtract your base rate for the last bracket, then multiply the left over dollars by the new rate.
    I don't understand what you mean, what is base rate? (Sorry if dumb questions.) This was the way I was taught to calculate tax yonks ago but I haven't done it for ages and to be honest, it's hurting my head!!
    I have calculated income tax due for FY 1012-13 and 2011-12 witch calculations below. The tax difference is $3 per annum so I guess the changes to income tax affect low to middle income earners and remain the same for higher income earners.

FY 2012-13
    Income Brackets % due in tax Amount Taxable Tax Due
    0-18200 0 18200 0
    18201-37000 0.19 18799 3571.81
    37001-80000 0.325 42999 13974.68

FY 2011-12
    Income Brackets % due in tax Amount Taxable Tax Due
    0-6000 0 6000 0
    6001-37000 0.15 30999 4649.85
    37001-80000 0.3 42999 12899.7

I do stand corrected though that the second income bracket has changed from 0.3 to 0.325 - I missed that before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Uuuum. Wasn't this thread supposed to be about the economy? But has been derailed into the standard Abbott hatefest on abortion.
    Most threads tend to verge off, no matter the topic after lots of people reply. I don't consider it a hatefest, that's just being emotive. We are expressing the policies that concern us. Isn't it a good thing to talk about, think and contribute to politics? Would you have preferred a labor/Gillard hatefest? Just bc some of us are expressing opinions that differ from yours doesn't mean our responses are any less valid/important/whatever than yours, no? I'm sure if someone had started a thread about concerns over Gillard's policies you would have contributed as to why you don't like them?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (26-02-2013),Busy-Bee  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

I stand corrected Father - the topic of the thread does not encompass anything other than Abbott's plans for the economy, so that's where we'll leave it.

Hmmm ok then. As you were. So many threads merge off from the original topic and are happily let run their course. It's difficult to know when that's not ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Delirium, I was not concerned with the talk of other policies, as I was obviously involved. It was a light response to Pegasus' direction on what the topic was, or at least what she thought the topic was.

Anyway. On that note, I'm off for the night. Thanks for the discussion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Okay - much as I obviously have an interest in politics and political threads, I have already posted a message regarding keeping the thread on topic.

I will post one more warning - as posts which are personal have been posted after my last reminder to keep things on track.

I will remove anything personal which followed my last warning, and anything which has been reported.

For the record though - for those that haven't heard the "handbag hit squad" term before - it is not one coined by Father - it was coined by Abbott's team, following a period when there was a lot of press regarding his comments on women (think back to when his wife spoke out, or the ousting of Peter Slipper). So therefore for those in doubt as to why that term may be left following cleaning - it was not directed personally to any members here.

Sorry my response to the original horsie comment was written before the 1st? warning appeared, but posted after due to being pre-occupied and not being able to finish typing right away. So it appears that it was written after your comment was reviewed Which it wasn't. Apologies again.
    Last edited by VicPark; 27-02-2013 at 05:20.

and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have now done two warnings and people are still harping on. Whether posts are made before or after a warning - when they appear after the second warning - it can be assumed that they were made at least after the first warning.

Yes threads can run off onto tangents and sometimes that's okay. My suggestion here was to create a new thread, from this point on.

It was not saying anything discussed prior to my post shouldn't have been, or will be editted.

I posted a Back to topic post rather than a closure or cleaning one, for just the reason of keeping others aware of where the expectation is for this thread.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    OK so what does that mean? told you I'm useless with sums
    Well, according to my sums and the ATOs calculator, the changes to the tax free threshold and % of tax due means that:
    - a person on an income of $50k is $753 better off for this FY than last FY
    - a person on $80k is $3 worse off this FY than last FY.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's the figures from changes to the tax brackets:
    0 - $6k - no change (still pay no tax)
    6 - $18k $1800 / year better off ($34/week)
    18k - $37k $3572/year better off ($68/week)
    37 - $50k $753/year better off ($14/week)
    50 - $80k $3/year better off (5c/week)
    80k + $3/year worse off
    Think it was back on page 14 that I posted this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I agree in regard to lack of diversity. Fairfax does not have one on staff conservative columnist. The ABC does not have a conservative host on any of their political programs.
    The only diversity comes from News, which happens to hire journalists from both sides of the fence.

With the internet, there is plenty of diversity. What do you feel that you don't have access to?

Clearly you have not heard of Paul Sheehan?

Fairfax don't own a huge percentage of the media. And fairfax radio in Sydney is very right wing.

And I think the ABC is balanced. Do you watch abc news or listen to abc radio?
    Last edited by BigRedV; 27-02-2013 at 10:04.