+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    So when I made the comment about father having a wife/daughter, it was more to try and figure out what man wants their loved ones rights taken away from them.
    So which right was being taken away? The 'right' for medicare funding for a drug?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    So which right was being taken away? The 'right' for medicare funding for a drug?
    I posted it in various forms several times. No, not just funding that is a seperate issue, he wanted to change medical categories in a sneaky attempt to be able to cut medicare funding for terminations. He also tried to take women's right to a less invasive, non surgical abortion. The only reason it didn't happen is he was twarted, thank goodness. Just bc he was unsuccessful on both accounts doesn't minimise his intent to take women's rights away.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    The only diversity comes from News, which happens to hire journalists from both sides of the fence.
    You've just confirmed an earlier thought.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Oh get off your high horse. I was referring to the fact Abbott wants to make abortion illegal, therefore, taking away a woman's right to make choices about HER body.

So when I made the comment about father having a wife/daughter, it was more to try and figure out what man wants their loved ones rights taken away from them.
    I think the problem is Anjalee, that if Tony Abbott gets in, it does not mean that non-medically required abortion will become illegal.

Others have brought up that the post that was posted earlier was from 2005.

I certainly don't think that if Tony Abbott gets in that my rights as a woman (or my daughter's rights as a woman) will be taken away.

The very idea of assuming because Tony Abbott may oppose non-medical abortion means that it would happen under a government he leads seems over the top to me.

Julia Gillard said no to gay marriage, but it wasn't her decision to make - it was taken to vote in the lower and upper house, and opposed.

The same would happen with any anti-abortion bill - it would have to be taken to vote in the lower and upper houses. Then again, with the greens in power in the senate - could they vote it in? If that happened, would that mean that the greens had taken away a woman's right to body autonomy?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Buttermilk  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Because people who earn higher incomes now pay higher rates above the $37k

ie. 32.5c/dollar over the last bracket between earning $37k and $80k this was previously 30c/dollar
    ahhh I see thanks for clarifying. Didn't know that

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    You've just confirmed an earlier thought.
    Would you care to elaborate? Don't keep the joke to yourself. I'm so excited to hear it!

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a reminder to keep this thread away from personal attacks and keep it on track of issues which may arise if Tony Abbott gets in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    He also tried to take women's right to a less invasive, non surgical abortion.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question. It is not something I've followed too closely.

Confirm that women in Australia never had that 'right' prior to 2006? How can he take a 'right' away that was never there in the first place? I can understand if you were complaining that he tried to block its introduction. But I think it is a bit rich to say that he was trying to take your 'rights' away.
    I think the definition of 'rights' has become too loose.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Just a reminder to keep this thread away from personal attacks and keep it on track of issues which may arise if Tony Abbott gets in.
    Uuuum. Wasn't this thread supposed to be about the economy? But has been derailed into the standard Abbott hatefest on abortion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question. It is not something I've followed too closely.

Confirm that women in Australia never had that 'right' prior to 2006? How can he take a 'right' away that was never there in the first place? I can understand if you were complaining that he tried to block its introduction. But I think it is a bit rich to say that he was trying to take your 'rights' away.
    I think the definition of 'rights' has become too loose.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.
    You can have a right to something that hasn't been introduced. Before women could vote.... would you say that was taking their rights away to be able to have a voice politically? imo yes it def was.

I think you are arguing semantics. You asked for examples, I have given them. You don't have to agree with me, you can believe and support Abbott's stance. But clearly RU40 is a less invasive option. I would never have a non medically necessary abortion but I support women's right to avoid surgery to access the drug. It existed in other countries and he tried to openly block women's access. That is taking their rights away imo.