+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH also used to want to turn the kids early. It came to a point where he'd turn the car seat around when bubs was only 6mths old and I wasn't prepared to risk it so the solution was simple - we wouldn't go in the car. He swore that it would help her sleep to see forward blah blah blah. Got one of those mirrors so you can see them when you look back and got one for DD to look at herself with. Didn't have to turn her. She was happy.

DS has a mirror. So no need to turn him until he hits the weight limit and even then I'll be making sure its absolute, you know. Not something you take risks with. I think sometimes parents want to turn the car seat earlier because it helps them think oh baby is growing up how amazing what a milestone, if that makes sense. And also because then you can see baby all the time. But its great you stand your ground. Safety first. Isn't that a car seat brand too lol?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Turning car seat FF from RF

The Kidsafe website might have info about keeping seats RF aslong as possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a bit clueless about this, I just assumed all babies went forward facing at 6 months. Our girl is 3.5 months and we just have one of those capsules you rent from qld ambulance. It's pretty small, I think it only caters up to 6 months...? What kind of capsule/seat would you recommend from 3.5 months upwards? (Would like to get something that we could use from now up until a couple of years, if such a thing exists).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Emmasfirst, I think most babies, unless small, are only comfortable in a capsule until 4 months. We have a SnS guardian which we used birth - 2yrs with DD1. She probably would have lasted a bit longer but we wanted it for DD2.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

InWatermelonSugar  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Speaking for myself but when DS was little I refused to listen to others who said that he should be FF because he didn't like RF, or whatever other reason. I very reluctantly did it around 13 months. 4 months is FAR too early. Give me a baby who dislikes RF any day over one at very high risk of horrible injuries or death in an accident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 17 months and only this week I started to think it was time to turn him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As others have mentioned, it's a legal requirement that they rear face till 6 months anyway, so there's a good start to you winning the argument

My DH was another one of those that constantly wanted to turn unneccessarily. But my decision is the safe sensible one, so he got told to suck it up. My bubs rear faced till around 12 months.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Turning car seat FF from RF

I suggest showing him rf vs ff videos on youtube about the impact and ask him if he would like that to be your child. Its harsh, but once I showed my df, he would field the questions from others about why he was stil rf so old.

My ds' is quite big. He turned ff around 12 months as he outgrew it rf weight wise, then 2 months later we got hit, thankfully at a very low speed! He was ok, as were we all.

We replaced his seat with a meridian. he was literally on the rf/ff line.... I was quite impressed he could have been rf longer in the meridian!
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 20-02-2013 at 18:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We turned DS at 22 months to FF, he had not quite hit the 12 kgs but was getting really difficult to put it and I was pregnant and tired of the argument. DD will stay RFing for as long as possible as well.

For me it's about safety. My child may complain and pull against my hand in a carpark or while crossing the road but too bad, I'm not letting go for safety's sake. I see the whole RF/FF issue the same. They may like looking out FF, but they are much safer RF.

Show your DH some of the you tube clips, I bet he changes his mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Infa-Secure Neon is another brilliant seat to RF longer in, it has higher markers then the SNS seats and is very reasonably priced and sold at Big W. Check out Child Restraints - Is my child restrained correctly? facebook page. It's a community i'm a part of and without it I wouldn't have the knowledge I now know about keeping children safer in the car. There is a guy a part of the group who works for Infa-Secure and he is extremely informative as are the other members, you won't miss out on any new facts or tips and people post pictures of their children restrained so people can help advise whether they are installed correctly or not.
    You'd think getting RAC or the likes to install your seats would be a safe option I've seen some terrible installs by "professional" companies.
    The information the group receives come straight from the research and testing done.