+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Turning car seat FF from RF

Legally you cannot turn them before they are the correct weight stated on the carseat, or 6 months old. My DD still hasn't reached the required weight. I don't know how you are going to get through to him but it is for your child's safety, surely that is the only argument needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks everyone it's definitely not an argument I'm going to give up on! It helps that it's the law to keep him at least until 6 months which I'm glad about, but ideally I'd like for him to be RF until he hits the max height marker.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by little blue car View Post
    We just turned my DS to FF the other day at 15.5 mths!!
    My DH is now educating other parents on extended RF
    That's so awesome!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

little blue car  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm going to get stamped with bad mummy but both my girls were turned around by 5 months. They both hit the weight mark at that age and were extremely unsettled RF, to the point where I could barely drive 100m without feeling I was going to run the car off the road from their screaming.

It did settle them and I'm very happy we made the decision we did as it was right for us. We waited longer with DS but he was turned around at 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All the new standards go by height not weight, however if you have a weight based seat you must still comply with those standards.
    The reality is that turning a child around too early can result in their neck breaking in the event on an accident. 6 months is not a standard to go by, even baby shop workers don't have the right information regarding child restraints and have tried selling me a Maxi Rider for a 7 month old!
    Just because a child restraint says you can use it from 6 months doesn't mean the moment your child turns 6 months you turn them around.
    Isn't it wiser to keep a child RFing till they no longer fit?? That's what sounds appropriate to me, then you think about changing them.
    If the seat you have is height based your child should stay RFing in it untill they reach the FF marker.

Tell your partner that it's a matter of life in death, because it is. If your baby died in a car crash wouldn't you want to know that you did everything in your power to ensure they were safe? Imagine how guilty you'd feel if something happened to your baby and then you'd regret wishing you could have done something different.

Sorry not trying to sound harsh or mean but it's a topic i'm passionate about and i'm just sick of hearing the whole "i cant wait till my baby is 6 months to turn him/her FF" 6 months is not a trend to set! I'd rather have my child safer then follow the crowd.
    Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    And just to add, my son is 1 and he's still RFing in a SNS Platinum which is the same as the Meridian

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steelart View Post
    And just to add, my son is 1 and he's still RFing in a SNS Platinum which is the same as the Meridian
    Yep, my DD is still rear facing in a SnS at 1yr because she hasn't hit the weight requirements yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a meridian, and DS who is 9 months and 10 kilos is still RF.

The seat has a marker where bubs shoulders should be before it is turned FF and to measure it properly you have to take the bottom seat insert out iykwim?
    Read the manual that came with it. DS grew out of his maxi cosi at 6 months, and he's no where near tall enough to have his meridian convertible FF yet.

the shop assistant tried to sell us the maxi rider, and tried to prove a point by sitting him in the meridian convertible with the RF insert in it and showing where his shoulders were ... But once you take the RF insert out (ours has the grey circle pattern on it) and they're sitting on the seat proper, you'll be able to see where bub's shoulders should be ....

oh, and my DS was really unsettled RF in his capsule and loves RF in his meridian.

good luck. This argument is worth the fight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest was turned around at about 10 months because his feet were touching the seat and I hadn't really researched rear-facing. My girls were both rear-facing until they reached my seats 12kg weight limit. I think one was close to 2yo and the other about 18months. This babe will be the same - rear-facing for as long as possible. I wish Australia would hurry up and bring in the ISOFIX stuff so we can have rear-facing for even longer!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Turning car seat FF from RF

My son is 16 months and still RF. I put my foot down on the matter after seeing the videos on you tube. I will not allow him in anyone else's car unless he can be rear facing.
    I am only just considering turning him now because he has reached the height marker on his chair.

Sent from my umbrella