+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Turning car seat FF from RF

So DF and I keep arguing over when to turn DS FF in his car seat. He's almost out of his carrier and will be going into the Meridian AHR and DF wants to turn him ASAP... He's only 4 months old... I just don't understand why? He seems to think that because his Dad's DD (21 months now, 5 months then) was constantly unhappy and wouldn't sleep in the car, and when they turned her it all of a sudden changed that it'll be the same with DS.

Does he not understand that it's safer for him to stay RF as long as possible? Yes, DS very rarely sleeps in the car, but he's not unhappy in the slightest! He just jabbers away and likes to stare at everything. He never sleeps in his pram either, he's a very interested baby. I don't see how him not sleeping in the car justifies making him more at risk in the car just so he'll sleep? (which he does do sometimes anyways)

I know this is a silly babble/rant but I don't know how to get it through to him... Ideally I'd like to keep DS rear facing as long as I can. Am I being silly? We've had some seriously heated arguments over it which usually ends in "don't come to me when he's crying and not sleeping!"

Thanks
    Reviews

Show him that video of why extended RF is a good choice. 4 months? Mines 11 months and is still RF!

Thanks
    Reviews

DD is long for her age and we didn't turn her til 12 months. Even at that age their necks can easily break in a head on impact. At 4 months I wouldn't even consider it, particularly when he is happy RF.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews

Check out Rear Facing Down Under on FB. It is also the law for chn to be RF until at LEAST 6 months.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GrabbyCrabby For This Useful Post:

onkybear  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by salamat View Post
    Show him that video of why extended RF is a good choice. 4 months? Mines 11 months and is still RF!
    Well DS will be 5 months roughly when he goes into his new seat but yeah he wants to turn ASAP all because he thinks he'll magically sleep in the car. He'll still have windows to look out, no matter which way he's facing! I'd love to keep him RF at 11 months!

He seems to think it's safer because if someone runs up the back of me DS could get badly injured if the boot gets pushed in, etc. I'd rather two broken legs than a snapped neck!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You don't even need to worry about extended RF at this point. It's a no-brainer, the law has taken the decision out of your hands. All babies must RF until 6 months
    Last edited by lambjam; 15-02-2013 at 13:34.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by GrabbyCrabby View Post
    Check out Rear Facing Down Under on FB. It is also the law for chn to be RF until at LEAST 6 months.
    I'm a fan of the page haha if I was to tell him that then he would say "okay the day he turns 6 months we'll turn him". Ugh, I've just stopped bringing it up now. It's like a saw a cute car yesterday and the first thing he said was "you'd have to have him forward facing to fit the seat in the back!"

He's a car mechanic, he of all people should be for RF as long as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews

Someone hit me from behind last week. DD is 9 months and is still RF. I am very glad she still is

Thanks
    Reviews

We just turned my DS to FF the other day at 15.5 mths!!
    My DH is now educating other parents on extended RF

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We were in Canada when DD was 8-12 months and the law there is babies must be RF until they are BOTH 12 months AND 10kgs. DD hit both of these at almost the exact same time and it seemed a little odd to me from OZ as all my friends' bubs had turned so much earlier, but really it was no hassle and once I did some research I could see why they had that law.

This time I will be aiming for 12 months again, starting in a capsule and then going to a convertible. Either way for your DH it should be a no-brainer, he is asking you to break the law by turning at 4 months.