+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work Maternity Leave and PPL

Hello

I am a newbie here and a newbie to the whole world of babies. My partner and I are trying for a baby and I just have a few questions about leave.

I am entitled to three months paid maternity leave where I am employed. So I am planning on taking that and using up all the annual leave I have too so I should be taking about 4.5 months off in total and then return to work part time.

Whilst receiving my work maternity leave pay could I get the PPL at the same time or can I only get that once my work one runs out? I have been told a few different things but just wanted some clarification. I am deciding whether the PPL or baby bonus would be a better option.

Sorry if I sound daft. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Contact centerlink but I'm pretty sure you can get it at the same time. There website said something about it
    "you will be able to access other paid leave such as maternity leave at the same time as Parental Leave Pay, but you may be taxed at a higher rate"
    http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...e-pay/payments

I know I am hoping to do this.
    I also would double check your hr department if it's their policy to pay at the same time or not.
    Ours won't so I'll get it paid to me directly via centerlink

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Plan2bamummy is absolutely right. I know someone who is doing this.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep you can receive both at the same time, I did for my DS and have been approved for later in the year with DD. You can't be working while receiving PPL so just make sure you return to work after the payments have been completed (if you choose this option)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can definitely get the PPL at the same time. I did that with my son. You just have to actually be off work to get the payment. So to get the full payment you'll need to have 18 weeks off work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

You can but why don't u get it when it work leave ends. Then u can have more time off!
    I also asked my work instead of 3 months maternity I would take it as 6 months on the half pay. So works out the same but stretched it longer so I had 9 months of paid leave at the end of that and the ppl. Was fantastic!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pisang View Post
    You can but why don't u get it when it work leave ends. Then u can have more time off!
    I also asked my work instead of 3 months maternity I would take it as 6 months on the half pay. So works out the same but stretched it longer so I had 9 months of paid leave at the end of that and the ppl. Was fantastic!
    Just be careful with this, IF you got pregnant right away you may not be eligible for another ppl as you would have not met the working conditions ( paid leave is still classified as working- unpaid leave is not so as ppl is 18 weeks it means you wouldn't have worked the past 10 out of 13 months)
    Need to clarify but i think this could be a bit of red tape.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Work Maternity Leave and PPL

Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Just be careful with this, IF you got pregnant right away you may not be eligible for another ppl as you would have not met the working conditions ( paid leave is still classified as working- unpaid leave is not so as ppl is 18 weeks it means you wouldn't have worked the past 10 out of 13 months)
    Thats correct p2b. I was not eligible for the ppl with no 2 as I didn't structure my paid leave properly with no 1 (and therefore didn't meet the work requirements). Mine are 14 months apart.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    You just need to have worked 330 hours in the previous 10 months to receive the payment again for a second child.
    I am taking annual leave, then work mat leave at half pay (so for 6 months instead of 3) then ppl. I then am able to extend my leave on unpaid leave for another year and I can work casual shifts and will do that until number 2. If I manage to get the 330 hours in then I will be entitled to everything I have with this bub.
    Hope that makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for clarifying that for me and answering my questions. I will give our HR dept a call and see how they will pay their leave.

I might take the PPL after and have more time off. I am exploring both avenues. I think I'd find it hard to get myself out the door and back to work after 9 months! It is hard enough after a couple of weeks of annual leave

I wouldn't mind returning to work after about 5 months as my OH or I would be at home with bubs at night (we both work at nights and would work opposite days). Within a couple of years we hope our business will sustain us both and we can both be at home full time, but now I am getting waaay ahead of myself!
    Last edited by loveislikeabutterfly; 15-02-2013 at 07:59.