+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default BLW food ideas?

Hi!

So we're BLW, and I'm feeling a little uninspired about the finger food I've been giving.

I realise I should probably give more variety, but I'd love some suggestions?

DS is almost 7 mo and we've tried avocado, banana, kumara, pumpkin, potato, carrot, egg, and porridge.

DS already has 4 top and bottom teeth so I'm worried about giving anything too hard (e.g. cucumber).

His gagging has gotten better, but I tried him with some watermelon and that resulted in massive gagging and vomit.

Also, I only offer food once a day, should I be offering more often?

He's breastfed, 75th percentile, and is lucky if he swallows a teaspoon at each feed.

TIA!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default BLW food ideas?

At 7 months he is still learning so as long as breastmilk /formula is still is main source of nutrition don't worry about amounts! Most BLW babies don't really start chowing down until 9-10months

I was offering food at each meal at 7 months, when we had breakfast/lunch/dinner and snacks I sat him with us and also gave him something - it's great for them to eat with you and what you eat - plus dont be shy to try a huge variety of foods and flavours!

I would steam or roast my veggies with garlic or ginger and add a splash of flax seed or olive oil over them, and use herbs ( dry or fresh) as much as you can! I just went through DS food diary:

7 months
    Steamed broccoli is (perfect at 7 months!)
    Roasted sweet potato/pumpkin/parsnip/carrot /zucchini cut into chip size long pieces
    Steamed bok Choy
    Steamed asparagus or beans
    Banana
    Mango
    Kiwi fruit
    Mandarin
    Poached chicken
    Flaked fresh salmon
    Spagetti -w ricotta and peas
    Goat yogurt
    Thick cut cucumber sticks ( skin on) - dipped in hummus/tzatiki or the yogurt
    Egg pancake
    Blueberry pancakes (only once as way too messy!!) then banana pancakes
    Cruskits
    Toast- with tahini or macadamia nut butter or avocado
    Pizza - home made spinach and cheese ( he only had 4 teeth so gummed alot!)
    Quinoa porridge
    Avocado
    Organic rice puffs (happy baby brand)
    Blueberries
    Strawberries

8 months;
    Corn on cob
    Lamb cutlets
    Sliced olives
    Baby bell cheese
    Rice cakes with avo or goats cheese
    Prawns
    Rice
    butter chicken
    Cherry tomatoes halved
    Peas
    Feta cheese
    Flaked fresh flathead
    Homemade veggie/fish/chicken nuggets
    Most pasta and sauce
    Mini meatballs
    Zuchini slice made in mini muffin tins
    Rice noodles
    Lentils
    falafel
    Turkey
    Lemons ( he still eats lemons like oranges!!)

By this age I could flake/cut up any food into small pieces and place in his tray so he could pick what he wanted - by 9 months he ate mostly what we did - the only food he never really liked ( and still does not is potato!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our little Miss 7 months is breastfed on demand and therefore that is her main source of food, however she has tried a lot of the above ^ and again, it's not a rigid thing, but in terms of BLW we offer her basically what we eat and see how she goes. Last night she had some pan fried Salmon cutlet and loved it. For breakfast she has wheat cereal, rice cereal, porridge/Semolina, vita Brix or toast.

We let her suck and chew on chicken drumsticks, lamb cutlets etc too which is a big hit and mostly what she eats will have some garlic, ginger and fresh herbs seasoned into it somewhere. Her most blandest meals would be her breakfast.

I find it's really just a matter of not going out of my way with preparing special 'baby meals', but giving her a bit of what we eat and seeing how she copes with it and whether she likes it or not. As she's only 7 months we're not that rigid with it all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default BLW food ideas?

Thanks guys!

I was worried he might not be able to handle a lot of those foods, but looks like I just need to relax and step out the box a little!

I might start offering more, he'll eat it if he wants it I guess.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Only natural to be a bit worried when they're so little and just starting out, but he'll figure it out if you offer him age appropriate bits and let him lead with what he wants to eat out of what you offer him.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default BLW food ideas?

Hey guys, another question...

So do you use salt and sugar in your cooking when your babies are going to be having some?

For instance, I want to make wholemeal pancakes, should I leave the sugar out?

ETA - and what about milk? If i use skim milk in my cooking can DS eat it?
    Last edited by OneWithUnagi; 17-02-2013 at 09:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    marking for later

Thanks
    Reviews

Default BLW food ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithUnagi View Post
    Hey guys, another question...

So do you use salt and sugar in your cooking when your babies are going to be having some?

For instance, I want to make wholemeal pancakes, should I leave the sugar out?

ETA - and what about milk? If i use skim milk in my cooking can DS eat it?
    I was pretty strict from 6-18 months - no sugar no salt but used lots of herbs and garlic/ginger for flavour as I wanted him to taste as many flavors as possible!

With pancakes I still don't use sugar but caramelize banana in them which makes them sweet! ( now at 2 he has a splash of real maple syrup over them)

Skim milk is ok for cooking ( I actually use full cream as I think it tastes better!!)

Then from about 18 months I let him eat bits of our desserts or ice cream when we were out and then by about 2 I started making homemade muffins with some sugar, ice cream etc and will use a little sea salt in our cooking ( DH and I will add more after if needed)

Our rule is 80/20 - as long as 80% of his food is fresh and healthy we can allow 20% for sweets or if we go out!
    And all bets are off for parties - he can eat whatever he likes! ( I find he prefers savory over sweet )

We also don't have packet food/sauces or processes meat in the house , he would be lucky to eat 2 slices of bread a week and I read every label and buy everything additive free so a little sugar/butter/milk won't hurt occasionally!