+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Aldi coming to WA!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belliaz View Post
    so is it like a FAL or cash and carry where you can buy in bulk?
    I think so? But open to the public...
    Tbh most items from cash a d carry aren't much cheaper than in the shops hopefully aldi is!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummabearr For This Useful Post:

Belliaz  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It's nothing like cash and carry. Aldi stores are tiny IMO. They are a little supermarket that won't stock everything that you need on one shop so you end up going to Coles or woollies to finish off what you need. I love some things there and hate some things there. I use the cheap nappies when are are playing with water or home having frequent changes but not as good or hold as much as huggies or baby love. Fresh fruit and veg is not as good and MIT a fan of their meat. I'm not a regular shopper as with a toddler one shopping trip is enough for me. Supermarket hopping does my head in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Aldi coming to WA!!

I like aldi, I'm surprised with what they do have considering the size of them - because they only stock their own brands - except things like Milo.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BorrisWombatWife View Post
    The best description I heard of Aldi was that they stock 20% of the products (compared to woollies, iga)because that's where 80% of the profit is.
    Nappies are ok but no better than any other IMO.
    Most products are cheap imports and profits go OS. All the bargain variety products are 'get what you pay for' quality but as long as you know that and are fine with it.
    Oh and you pay for each bag/bring your own and pack your own bags. Pay a surcharge for using cards. Pay deposit for trolley and return it yourself.
    Actually, over 80% of their products are australian made.
    100% of their meat, 94% of their dairy and 97% of their fruit and veg is australian so they support australian farmers.
    And you only pay a surcharge on credit cards, not regular eftpos.
    The trolley thing- you use a gold coin to get one off the corral, get your coin back when you're done. I've seen this in other stores too. I've never been anywhere where someone comes and takes your trolley back for you, so this is no big deal.

The mamia nappies are great IMO. So are the wipes, much stronger than huggies brand.
    Their coffee pod machines are great!
    I like their organic tinned tomatoes and pasta sauce, their cheese (made by bega), DH is obsessed with their Jaffa cakes lol. They do have some brand name stuff, for example, my store carries vegemite, milo and a few others. I also like their fair trade, organic tea bags!
    Things like pasta, flour, sugar, rice, tissues- all household staples, are fine, IMO. They even do a baby formula that meets aus standards, I know several families that use it.
    Bags-byo or buy theirs- same as target.
    Last edited by Atropos; 15-02-2013 at 05:37.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (18-02-2013),MINIRoo  (15-02-2013),Mopoke  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Aldi is great if you can be bothered going. Their stores are pretty simple. They're ok to get staples from, but their range is limited.

If you have a smart phone, download their app and you can see their products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I use aldi hand wash, toilet cleaner, baby wipes and fabric softener. To me that stuff is comparable to the well known brands in the other supermarkets but also a fair bit cheaper.

I don't mind some of their meat like the porterhouse steaks and some of the juices are pretty good too, although I'm not a big juice drinker anyway.

The only thing that stops me going more often is that it's another supermarket to drag the kids into, it's just more of a hassle. But if u have plenty of time to shop for bargains then Aldi is great.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok here is my friends reply about Aldi.

'Ok so basically Aldi is a supermarket that is way cheaper than Coles or woolies
    There is usually one or two of each type of thing like, one brand of 1kg Plain flour. But it's not cheap and nasty, it's all good quality stuff. So that flour is like 79c where you would pay $1.30 at Coles. And it's probably the same stuff.

You might have a choice of pasta spirals in the Aldi brand for 79c but youcan get organic for $1.20 and wholemeal for the same. So there's different types but one or two brands.

You're in and out in 20 mins because you're not sitting there comparing packaging.

They also have lots of normal lines with everyday brands like Kellogg's nutri grain and A2 milk. But it's cheaper.

They keep ther prices down because they don't employ night packers, there's only like 5 people working there at a time andthey do it all. Nothing is on shelves it's all on palettes, you pack your own trolley and bag.

Nappies are the best nappies on the market I find them as good as huggies but for 56 you pay $13.99
    They have their own organic baby food pouches like raffertys but like $1.39 each instead of $2

You can buy their coffee machine (like Nespresso) for $89 and milk frother for $25
    And their pods are cheap as chips - $6 for a pack of 16. And I find their coffee as nice as Nespresso.

U also get produce, meat, everything u find at a supermarket.

So in addition to these everyday items they have weekly specials. Like TV's LED HD TVs for $599 for 52'' or laptops for $500 which is what I have and is brilliant

They're even releasing their own phone network and phone plans soon, $40 SIM cards with unlimited calls and text messages

Or $30 SIM cards with $600 of calls and they are valid for 12 months, no need to top up like today's pre paids.

Their specials might also include furniture like outdoor settings, kids play sets, toys, clothes, school shoes 100% leather and $30

It's honestly taken the east by storm they have stores everywhere here now.

And OMG thy even have grog. Their $2.99 Sav Blanc is seriously delicious. And their version of the Blonde beer is about $15 less than normal liquor shops and just as nice. They sell Bourbon for $23.

You guys will love it and it will change the way you shop.

I save hundreds per week shopping'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

pilbarablossom  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There was an article in Saturday's west saying that they don't have any land yet for shops but the bigger problem is that they don't have a distribution point, like the massive Coles and woollies ones next to the airport. The airport land isn't big enough and nothing else that is big enough and available is central enough (eg Neerabup).

Looks like its gonna be a while !

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm Not surprised. I knew there wasn't big enough land. They will be going very far out I think.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    Ok here is my friends reply about Aldi.

'Ok so basically Aldi is a supermarket that is way cheaper than Coles or woolies
    There is usually one or two of each type of thing like, one brand of 1kg Plain flour. But it's not cheap and nasty, it's all good quality stuff. So that flour is like 79c where you would pay $1.30 at Coles. And it's probably the same stuff.

You might have a choice of pasta spirals in the Aldi brand for 79c but youcan get organic for $1.20 and wholemeal for the same. So there's different types but one or two brands.

You're in and out in 20 mins because you're not sitting there comparing packaging.

They also have lots of normal lines with everyday brands like Kellogg's nutri grain and A2 milk. But it's cheaper.

They keep ther prices down because they don't employ night packers, there's only like 5 people working there at a time andthey do it all. Nothing is on shelves it's all on palettes, you pack your own trolley and bag.

Nappies are the best nappies on the market I find them as good as huggies but for 56 you pay $13.99
    They have their own organic baby food pouches like raffertys but like $1.39 each instead of $2

You can buy their coffee machine (like Nespresso) for $89 and milk frother for $25
    And their pods are cheap as chips - $6 for a pack of 16. And I find their coffee as nice as Nespresso.

U also get produce, meat, everything u find at a supermarket.

So in addition to these everyday items they have weekly specials. Like TV's LED HD TVs for $599 for 52'' or laptops for $500 which is what I have and is brilliant

They're even releasing their own phone network and phone plans soon, $40 SIM cards with unlimited calls and text messages

Or $30 SIM cards with $600 of calls and they are valid for 12 months, no need to top up like today's pre paids.

Their specials might also include furniture like outdoor settings, kids play sets, toys, clothes, school shoes 100% leather and $30

It's honestly taken the east by storm they have stores everywhere here now.

And OMG thy even have grog. Their $2.99 Sav Blanc is seriously delicious. And their version of the Blonde beer is about $15 less than normal liquor shops and just as nice. They sell Bourbon for $23.

You guys will love it and it will change the way you shop.

I save hundreds per week shopping'
    My local aldi stores have shelves, only a few things on palettes