+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I too also think that your son has been treated unfairly. In DD1's daycare room she has a child that requires a teacher aide. Now I do not know why - its not my business to interfer but there is an extra carer in her room all the time.

now this is LDC - pre kindy.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Kinder teacher wants my son to be withdrawn from Kinder

The OP is in Victoria (sorry OP I stalked a little ) and yep I'm pretty sure what veve says goes in Victoria too

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kinder teacher wants my son to be withdrawn from Kinder

If this is a committee run preschool, speak to committee ASAP! That's unacceptable either way! If its a cluster managed preschool, ring the cluster immediately tomorrow! That's the worst case of discrimination I have ever heard. We have had very serious behavioural issues at our kinder last year, and we couldn't even say that to the parent. We had concerns for other children's safety, and also safety of staff, and even legislation/issues prevented us from withdrawing children.
    Im not 100% on specifics, as a lot of it was confidential as you can imagine, but i would definitely take this further!! Hugs to you, and your little one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have no advice, I just wanted to say I am sorry someone could be so ignorant I hope something can be worked out and soon without displacing him!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Sorry you are going through this. My son who has problems ( suspected autism) is possibly getting kicked out of oosh as they find him too difficult to deal with.
    I have no real advice... Just letting you know you aren't alone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    DS1 is 3 and has just been diagnosed with high-functioning Autism. He started 3-year-old Kinder last week. He had his 2nd session today. We have been thrilled that he is excited about going and hasn't cried at all about being separated from us. Today when I went to collect him his teacher pulled me aside and told me that he was taking up a lot of their attention and that they didn't have the time to spend on him that he demanded. He wasn't being disruptive but he was mouthing things. He put a paintbrush, textas and thumbtacks in his mouth (why they would have thumbtacks out with 3-year-olds, I don't know). She started saying that I should look into Irabina etc and was basically trying to get me to withdraw him. Does anyone know what my rights are in this situation? There is no funding for aides or field officers for 3-year-old kinder, so that is not an option. I feel like it was only his 2nd class and she was quite rude to me. DS1 loves going.
    They have no right to deny him an education it is his right as a child in Australia regardless of his diagnosis, there are plenty if autistic children in schools.

they need to put in an application t schools plus for aide time.

Alternatively a lot of ed support schools have great early intervention programs, whilst I am all for inclusion I am also of the opinion that if the teacher has such a sh@ty attitude to sn kids and only has them in the class out of force they are not goingto get the support they need, it won't be a nice environment for him.

My daughter goes to sn school and they are great

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Sounds like she just wants to make her job easier. You don't get to pick and choose your students, some need less work, some need more.

When I volunteered at my nieces kinder the kids warned me which kids bite sometimes (they were autistic), I found it amusing they didn't seem bothered at all, just a warning.

My nephew is autistic (thankfully not a biter) and they worked with him well. I know this is 3yo kinder, but I would send him elsewhere for 4yo kinder. You want him to have a good teacher who works with him, not begrudgingly. But I'd stick this year out just to spite her

Thanks
    Reviews

When my dd was In preschool, we had the same kind of issues. The first one was great, got early intervention (highly recommended for autistic children, you need to look into it) they came to half of the speech therapy lessons so I could get to work on time and they could be on the same page as us.. Unfortunately we left and every preschool after that was shocking and only allowed her to trend for. Few hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

That is really sad

No advice but I definitely wouldn't settle with that. Why shouldn't your DS be given every opportunity he can?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    DS1 is 3 and has just been diagnosed with high-functioning Autism. He started 3-year-old Kinder last week. He had his 2nd session today. We have been thrilled that he is excited about going and hasn't cried at all about being separated from us. Today when I went to collect him his teacher pulled me aside and told me that he was taking up a lot of their attention and that they didn't have the time to spend on him that he demanded. He wasn't being disruptive but he was mouthing things. He put a paintbrush, textas and thumbtacks in his mouth (why they would have thumbtacks out with 3-year-olds, I don't know). She started saying that I should look into Irabina etc and was basically trying to get me to withdraw him. Does anyone know what my rights are in this situation? There is no funding for aides or field officers for 3-year-old kinder, so that is not an option. I feel like it was only his 2nd class and she was quite rude to me. DS1 loves going.
    Putting things in his mouth? Mouthing? This honestly sounds like pretty normal kinder behaviour to me! I too am confused about the thumbtacks though, I am trying to work out why a class of little kids would need them.
    I have to agree with pp's. It sounds like this teacher has been very quick to label your son as "too hard". Which is really unfair, both to you and your son.
    Are you in an area with a lot of childcare options? While I agree that you should raise the issues with management, if it were me the damage would be done and I would be looking at alternative solutions.
    This must be really upsetting for you. I really feel for you, what a cr@p situation.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub