+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kinder teacher wants my son to be withdrawn from Kinder

DS1 is 3 and has just been diagnosed with high-functioning Autism. He started 3-year-old Kinder last week. He had his 2nd session today. We have been thrilled that he is excited about going and hasn't cried at all about being separated from us. Today when I went to collect him his teacher pulled me aside and told me that he was taking up a lot of their attention and that they didn't have the time to spend on him that he demanded. He wasn't being disruptive but he was mouthing things. He put a paintbrush, textas and thumbtacks in his mouth (why they would have thumbtacks out with 3-year-olds, I don't know). She started saying that I should look into Irabina etc and was basically trying to get me to withdraw him. Does anyone know what my rights are in this situation? There is no funding for aides or field officers for 3-year-old kinder, so that is not an option. I feel like it was only his 2nd class and she was quite rude to me. DS1 loves going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

I'm shocked!!! Can they do that?

Aren't they obliged to "get" an aide???

I'm sorry how stressful for you when your DS loves to go and is comfortable going

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Witchy
    Im not sure what your rights are with 3 yr old Kinder but they way you have been treated is absolutely disgusting. I work in daycare and in the 3 - 4 yr old room this yr, we have 2 children at the moment who have aides in the room. If the teacher is treating you like this, how is she treating your son. If you dont get anywhere with the Kinder and it would be sucha shame to pull your son out when he is settled Id try daycare where you would get funding for an additional assistant.
    Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would make an appointment with the director. This seems well out of order.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's awful. My son's family daycare was terminated when he was almost 3 due to his behavioural issues and it was a terrible time. i really feel for you.

Can you try a daycare centre? They might be more flexible. When my son went to his centre (after the FDC fiasco), I never got any complaints and they seemed quite accepting and flexible. they also got funding for an assistant for any children who were receiving treatment for any development problems. They just needed something to show that they were getting some sort of treatment like speech therapy, seeing a psych etc. I don't think it was a qualified person, but it was another person in the room who could pay special attention to the kids who were struggling more. This wasn't a kindy room at the time, just ordinary daycare in Queensland.

eta: it was one part time assistant between all the kids.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    ok .. I would need to check/clarify the laws in your state - but I'm pretty sure this is straight out discrimination.

In QLD if your child has a diagnosis, and wishes to attend a daycare centre, they can apply for funding to employ an extra staff member as an "inclusion support worker" who works in the room your child is in .. helping all kids, but is there to ensure that your child is safe, and that your child takes part in all activities.

I am outraged on your part - that child care worker is extremely insensitive, and I'm not sure she is in the right job, if she cant accept that there will be children with different needs accessing the centre???

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (19-02-2013),Dosia  (19-02-2013),FearlessLeader  (14-02-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (15-02-2013),Yep  (19-02-2013)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    are you registered with your state version of disability support?? If so I would be ringing them to get clarification of your specific rights ..

GAH .. I'm cranky

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (19-02-2013),lovelymum  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not on at all. Is this a government programm or school? Or private? Either way it is not acceptable. They should be able to assess him and then apply for funding for support time. Don't let hem bully you.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Sorry if not relevant in your state but is this public or private?

Have you been given a copy of their Grievance Procedure? If so, I suggest starting with that. Do you have a witness? I'd get their support too.

I'd also be making a formal, written complaint to the director. If it's a government organisation I would take it further because this is discrimination. I would probably even write to the Education Minister.

I would also ask to see the kinder's behaviour management policy and ask for evidence that his behaviour warrants exclusion ACCORDING TO THEIR POLICY (sorry for caps).

In SA, children with high/special needs usually qualify for one-to-one support, but the red tape can take some time.

Also, as far as rights go, you and your son have a right to childcare and a right to education.

What a shame this has happened. I hope you're ok.

Thanks
    Reviews

It does all sound incredibly insensitive...and not at all to justify or dismiss that but an aide is not at all a simple thing to get. In fact if your child is classified as 'high functioning' the chances aren't great. And that is not to say I believe your child who is simply mouthing things requires one, it is a big developmental sensory stage that many children still are at at 5-6 let alone 3. I hope things improve, maybe give it a few more sessions for HER to adjust (no, you don't have to move at all) as your son loves it and hopefully she will see all there is to love with your child!