+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    My parents always preferred to be called Mr and Mrs by my friends, and I had a friend who called all of our friends parents by their first names and it even made me cringe in my early teens. There were a few who corrected me and would tell me to call them by their first names but most were happy to be called Mr or Mrs. I'm 23 so it wasn't that long ago for me, so I don't agree that it's old fashioned, but old fashioned or not, I'll be ensuring my daughter calls adults Mr or Mrs unless otherwise specified.
    Um, not all mums are married... Yes it's very old-fashioned especially these days and all the modern families out there.

I loathe that women can still be identified by their marital status yet men aren't - all women should be Ms and men Mr. But that's another topic!

Yes please
    No Thankyou
    Don't interrupt

Theyre the very basics for me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Which manners are most important to teach your children?

I am married but I don't go by Mrs as I kept my own surname!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I am married but I don't go by Mrs as I kept my own surname!
    I have both surnames, I use 'Ms,' it is how I address everyone in writing, it's my idea of politically correct lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep we're big on manners here too.

Please, thankyou, excuse me, waiting turns, sharing etc. A little older and we'll start to enforce table manners etc. No swearing, tone of voice is very important too. We'll do thankyou notes etc. I still remember being horribly disappointed in getting clothes from my grandma one Christmas and my Mum explaining how Grandma had put thought into it etc so it was important I said thankyou very much and appreciated the gift.

I think that NOT teaching your children to say please and thankyou because your family doesn't believe in it is very short-sighted and will make it significantly difficult for the poor kids later in life. As a parent I believe it's our job to teach our children how to function in society and help them be accepted and form relationships. Whether we personally think they are meaningless words or not, manners really help socially and professionally, in every aspect of life. A child who never says please or thankyou (and who swears) would really be disadvantaged in relationships with teachers, friends parents, future employees etc. It would be subtle, but enough to prejudice people against them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Um, not all mums are married... Yes it's very old-fashioned especially these days and all the modern families out there.

I loathe that women can still be identified by their marital status yet men aren't - all women should be Ms and men Mr. But that's another topic!

Yes please
    No Thankyou
    Don't interrupt

Theyre the very basics for me.
    I'm actually really excited about getting married and being identified by my marital status, and am going to enjoy my kids friends calling me Mrs Johns, just because I love being called Mrs (Insert DF's last name here). Gives me warm fuzzies. ^_^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post

I so agree!! in France they just got ride of the word "Miss" on admin forms. Now all women are Mrs :-)
    Like all men are Mr :-p

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Which manners are most important to teach your children?

Quote Originally Posted by acerbaby View Post
    My pet hate is when kids don't say hello or respond back when spoken too. I understand that shyness can Be a factor but kids sometimes need a little push from parents to say hello or thank you etc.
    I'm working on this with jasper. A push won't help, if I tell him to say hi he'll go from just not talking to trying to hide behind me. I do try to encourage him, we also talk about it before a social situation. And he is getting better at it.

Try not to hate on little people for being shy, theyd probably pick up on it and not speak to you at all. Just give them a bit of time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (16-02-2013),Ellewood  (16-02-2013),Gothel  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My pet hate is when kids don't say hello or respond back when spoken too. I understand that shyness can Be a factor but kids sometimes need a little push from parents to say hello or thank you etc.
    I'm working on this with jasper. A push won't help, if I tell him to say hi he'll go from just not talking to trying to hide behind me. I do try to encourage him, we also talk about it before a social situation. And he is getting better at it.

Try not to hate on little people for being shy, theyd probably pick up on it and not speak to you at all. Just give them a bit of time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My dd2 has no problem making herself heard lol, but dd1 can be terribly shy with others. I try to include her in the conversation but if she is obviously uncomfortable I have no problem speaking up for her. Kids are so little and there is so much that can be overwhelming to them. Shyness can be really debilitating even as an adult, and if I don't handle it correctly with dd1, she will just get worse. So I can't push her to speak so that someone else won't think she's rude. No offence, but in this situation, to me, my child's feelings are more important than her manners
    Last edited by Gothel; 16-02-2013 at 06:21.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (16-02-2013),Ellewood  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I'm actually really excited about getting married and being identified by my marital status, and am going to enjoy my kids friends calling me Mrs Johns, just because I love being called Mrs (Insert DF's last name here). Gives me warm fuzzies. ^_^
    Oh, I couldn't think of anything worse. If someone called me Mrs (insert name here) I'd turn around looking for the MIL...no thanks

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (16-02-2013),HugsBunny  (16-02-2013)