+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Which manners are most important to teach your children?

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    My parents always preferred to be called Mr and Mrs by my friends, and I had a friend who called all of our friends parents by their first names and it even made me cringe in my early teens. There were a few who corrected me and would tell me to call them by their first names but most were happy to be called Mr or Mrs. I'm 23 so it wasn't that long ago for me, so I don't agree that it's old fashioned, but old fashioned or not, I'll be ensuring my daughter calls adults Mr or Mrs unless otherwise specified.
    Hmm..well i'm 27. Maybe we should start a poll to see which is prefered? Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm big on manners because that's how I was raised and its one of the bits of my childhood I agree with so I continue it. I love to hear good manners, esecially from kids. (I admit I cringe when I hear, 'What?' instead of pardon.).

But I think a good point this thread has raised is that manners are very much a cultural construct. Different cultures have a different idea of what constitutes 'good manners'. So other cultures may not see please and thank you as part of 'good manners'. Its not that manners aren't important to them, its just they have a different way of expressing them.

I find that really interesting. I suspect studying the way different societies express manners would be fascinating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Which manners are most important to teach your children?

I'm thinking most, if not all languages would have a translation for please and thank you. I've traveled to many countries and always made sure I knew how to say please and thank you when going to a different country.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

What about the Scandinavian countries?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Something to consider, some cultures consider eye contact from children rude and defiant. Yet generally lack of in our culture is seen as rude

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

As far as I'm aware, only Icelandic doesn't have a translation for please. Sadly, I never made it there, one of the only regrets I have.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 15-02-2013 at 17:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When kids are older I think it's important to teach them to hold doors open for other people, wait for people to exit public transport before getting on, and offering seats to eldery/pregnant people.

I find it so rude when people don't do this!

My parents are very relaxed and a bit hippyish and they didn't think they needed to teach us manners so long as we were generally nice. This was embarrasing for me - when I was little I would be at a friend's house and do something and their mum would have to be the one to tell me "we don't ask people about money" or "use the entree cutlery first" or whatever. I think it is in children's interests for parents to be quite strict about manners as it will save your children this kind of embarrassment.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Please and thank you are the big deal ones.

For us, what's tough is trying to get DD to actually respond to strangers when they talk to her. Not like weird randoms but if she meets a new friend and they say hello... She really should at least say hello back. Alas she will not and she's getting old enough for it to be considered rude.

Just the other day she was playing with my cousins son, and he kicked a ball into her face (complete accident).

After she stopped crying he asked if she was okay... It was really sweet. DD however ignored him... Like as if he wasnt even there. She didn't even acknowledge he made a sound. She does it so often... I hate bad manners and this one is driving me nuts!
    My DD1 is almost 4 and she does the same thing mainly to adults. She's not shy and she doesn't do it to just co plate strangers, she does it to her extended family who she see's a lot! It drives me crazy but I try not to make a big deal about it cause it seems to make it worse. I do apologise to the person who spoke to her and I do tell her that its impolite to not respond when someone asks her a question. We talk about it a lot at home too.

It's almost like talking to adults is beneath her haha! She only has time for kids

ETA - oops didn't even respond to the question asked in this thread lol!

Please/Thankyou
    Waiting until its your turn to speak (this is HUGE for DD1 at the moment)
    Gracious winner/loser
    Table manners
    Last edited by GirlyWirly; 15-02-2013 at 18:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I think a lot of people these days see mr and mrs as out dated. I hate mrs, (it makes me feel old lol) I still teach my children to use it though, because I just don't think you can jump to a first name basis with everyone, at least I certainly don't.

DD's friends I tell I really prefer if you call me by my name, like I would an adult, I guess I've always thought others who don't want to be called "mrs" would do the same, I find a lot of people my age (30) don't mind the mrs.

with a lot of foreign languages you have a formal and informal way of saying things so while they may not use please and thank you as much as in English there certainly is a well mannered way of speaking to people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Offering help to those who need it...like an old lady struggling with her groceries.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub