+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 122
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked
    298
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    You did use the word hate which jumped right out at me as a mum with a child who doesn't always speak to people when spoken to. I just wanted to reflect that back to you, I didn't mean to offend you.

    And you'd only said you understood that shyness can Be a factor, not that shyness isn't what you were talking about. And I'm probably a bit sensitive in defence of my son, he's such a good kid, he's just a bit shy with adults, and so many times as well people dismiss that, I tell people just give him a minute he's a bit shy and they say "oh he's not shy" (including people who've literally just met him!) - because he interacts with children but not adults, he basically gets accused of putting it on to adults.

    But he'll even be a bit shy with grandma who he loves.

    It's also funny he talks about people really fondly after they leave, when he never actually spoke to them while they were here. So he likes people, just won't talk to them. It's really frustrating. But at least he interacts fine with other children.
    So sorry I took your comment the wrong way.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Pet hate wasn't the right term. Bug bear would have been more appropriate.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores
    Posts
    3,562
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    114
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Which manners are most important to teach your children?

    What particularly bothers me is when people assume my child should live by their rules. The comment about expecting children to respond when being spoken to got me thinking... My child cannot speak well though he is almost seven and many people have commented that he is being rude. Why should I have to explain him just to keep others happy?

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flyawayfree For This Useful Post:

    Ellewood  (16-02-2013),HarvestMoon  (16-02-2013),RobinSparkles  (16-02-2013)

  4. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyawayfree View Post
    What particularly bothers me is when people assume my child should live by their rules. The comment about expecting children to respond when being spoken to got me thinking... My child cannot speak well though he is almost seven and many people have commented that he is being rude. Why should I have to explain him just to keep others happy?
    I agree with this totally. My DS us only 2.5 but I already get comments about him ignoring people. He is very quiet around other people and I always ask him to acknowledge when people speak to him (darling, <name> just asked you a question).... But he is only little and even so, not all kids are good with the niceties but as long as parents instill it then they do take it on board and grow into it. Also, while it seems DS is ignoring people I usually hear him respond in a tiny voice after the others have moved on with the conversation and I thank him for responding.

  5. #104
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked
    298
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyawayfree View Post
    What particularly bothers me is when people assume my child should live by their rules. The comment about expecting children to respond when being spoken to got me thinking... My child cannot speak well though he is almost seven and many people have commented that he is being rude. Why should I have to explain him just to keep others happy?
    Again, sorry if I offended you. It was a badly written post and I didn't explain myself.

  6. #105
    Ana Gram's Avatar
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    18,597
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked
    3,125
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Maybe we all need to ease up on strangers kids a bit?

    People often think DD (who is 9) is rude for not responding in the way they think is polite. Unfortunately it's because she doesn't really know the correct response. It's not that she is shy but she just doesn't know how to respond.

    I guess the lesson here is that we don't know the inner workings of children we don't know.

  7. #106
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked
    298
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Maybe we all need to ease up on strangers kids a bit?

    People often think DD (who is 9) is rude for not responding in the way they think is polite. Unfortunately it's because she doesn't really know the correct response. It's not that she is shy but she just doesn't know how to respond.

    I guess the lesson here is that we don't know the inner workings of children we don't know.
    Again I wasn't referring to strangers kids but because I didnt elaborate I gave no context to what I meant.
    lesson learnt bubbhubbers.

  8. #107
    SpecialPatrolGroup's Avatar
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the messy house, Brisbane
    Posts
    9,481
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanked
    5,405
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Maybe we all need to ease up on strangers kids a bit?

    People often think DD (who is 9) is rude for not responding in the way they think is polite. Unfortunately it's because she doesn't really know the correct response. It's not that she is shy but she just doesn't know how to respond.

    I guess the lesson here is that we don't know the inner workings of children we don't know.
    This is a good point. Also, one day at a playground I was talking to a dad. This guy was TAAAALLLLLL and his little boy was TAAALLL too. He was probably the height of a 6 year old but had only just turned 4 and I asked him if he found that people held his son to a higher standard of behaviour because he looked older and he said that that is something that they did notice. We all make a lot of assumptions, and are often wrong.

  9. #108
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    788
    Thanked
    1,847
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ours is based on consideration for others, and how nice it feels to be appreciated.

    Naturally, please and thank you follow on with this perfectly.

    ALso, it extends to how we treat people we don't know and that are helping us..the bus driver or shop assistant and how important it is to be kind to those people too.

    I was really angry at a shop assistant once because DS (8) read her name tag and greeted her so nicely "hi Margaret, thanks for helping us" and she almost snarled at him and said "that's not my name" and then gave me some sort of knowing look. I turned to DS and said "that was so nice of you to say hello, it seems not everyone appreciates the kindness". Stupid bat!

    We model what we expect...but often it is tone and action that speak louder than the actual words...so if they are acting grateful we don't pounce on them for not saying "thank you". For example, a big beaming smile and a "wow" means so much more than a rehearsed word.

    Opening doors and helping strangers and displaying benevolence is also important. DS often helps people and I am so proud when he is gracious about it. It also makes me beam when he is helpful to other kids...tody at gymnastics there was a new kid and a few times I heard him say "oh, you do that awesome" and when it was time for sit ups, after he finished his own...he held the other kids feet to help him out.

    I always go back to the saying "it's not the words that you say that people remember, it's the way you make them feel"...you can show manners in many ways other than just set words and those actions speak louder than the words.

  10. #109
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,548
    Thanks
    323
    Thanked
    713
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me the important manners include, showing grattitude for things that are given them e.g. gifts and outings etc. Asking for things nicely, not necessarily please but not demanding things of me either. Just showing respect and care for the people around them, for others belongings and for thier own.

    I have a SS who is not shy and yet will still not talk to his family members when he doesnt feel like it. He only speaks to them when he feels like it but when they give him something he wont even look at them, he just takes it. He also wont say hi or bye when he gets in these moods. This drives me up the wall. All his extended family like to make excuses for this behaviour in front of him e.g. "hes just tired" my reply is always, "that is no excuse for being rude." Shy kids are another matter I dont really push them.

    I guess its all more to do with values than actual manners as such but manners are a part of it.

  11. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    21
    Reviews
    0

    Default Which manners are most important to teach your children?

    Wow... This thread has been an eye opener to me... Not because of what manners people teach their children but more the why... And the why nots even. I'm intrigued by Blissedone (?) and the fact that your first (?) language doesn't have a translation for please and thank-you I feel like an uneducated, narrow minded fool forgot knowing that? It would NEVER occur to me that peopl


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 26-10-2013, 23:31
  2. How do you teach them to hold their pee in?
    By iammom in forum Constipation, Toilet Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2012, 23:11
  3. Teach me about cot choices!
    By CountryGirl77 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 08:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Billington Street
For stationery as unique as you are! ♥ Handmade, custom designed stationery for all of life's celebrations
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!