+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Which manners are most important to teach your children?

For me, they are:
    Please and thank you
    Bless you when you/someone else sneezes
    Excuse me for burps/farts
    No chewing with mouth open, no elbows on table, no phones or books at table
    Say sorry/excuse me if you get in somebody's way

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there are many more, which is why I started this thread to remind me of some others I should start using around DS

DH always says hello to random people that he passes if they make eye contact, whereas I just look away or smile. I guess it's the different ways which people are brought up as to what's important to them. A lot of the manners I listed he doesn't use, guess I have 2 boys to teach

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My most important is saying "thank you" and acting grateful when someone does something for you or gives you a gift. When hubby and I met, it drove me crazy that I'd get him a drink and he wouldn't thank me, or I'd give his parents or sister a bday gift and they'd act completely unimpressed! Or even worse, my family would get him a bday present and he'd seem like he hated it! So I've really drilled into him now how important it is to thank people, though he does still forget every now and then...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Please, thank-you, excuse me, sorry! And also being grateful.

Adding - waiting turn and sharing.
    Last edited by Jensha; 14-02-2013 at 21:59.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    One you have forgotten is not to leave the table until everyone has finished or until you are excused. Its not important to some, but its one that is important to me when we are at other peoples houses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Please and thank you are the big deal ones.

For us, what's tough is trying to get DD to actually respond to strangers when they talk to her. Not like weird randoms but if she meets a new friend and they say hello... She really should at least say hello back. Alas she will not and she's getting old enough for it to be considered rude.

Just the other day she was playing with my cousins son, and he kicked a ball into her face (complete accident).

After she stopped crying he asked if she was okay... It was really sweet. DD however ignored him... Like as if he wasnt even there. She didn't even acknowledge he made a sound. She does it so often... I hate bad manners and this one is driving me nuts!

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh yes, I forgot that one. We always had to be excused or wait until we were finished, Dad was very strict on table manners!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Please, thankyou, table manners, excusing oneself after burping or farting (preferably leave the room to do them). So far so good with DS!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Which manners are most important to teach your children?

Agree with all of the above so far. I also think things like waiting your turn/not pushing in are important. My ds who is almost 3 is really good with his manners and will even say "your welcome" if you thank him for something. I believe manners and very important and I must say it is nice when total strangers say what lovely manners your child has

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Which manners are most important to teach your children?

Sassymummy, it sounds to me like she is quite introverted and needs to be taught the correct social responses? It is hard to learn when and how to respond when you are an introvert.

For me bring grateful is most important, please, thank you and excuse me are the basic expectations.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Please , thank you , excuse me ( especially when interrupting , this drives me crazy!) gratefulness .