+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 yr old that won't try fruit

My dd is a great eater. Will eat any vegies except capsicum. It just needs rice or pasta mixed with it and a little encouragement. She will eat apples occasionally but i have to tell her firmly she needs to eat it. She will also eat bananas on rare occasions also. But she won't eat any other fruit I've tried several things like role modeling, no special crackers if you don't eat it etc. She has started 3yr old kind and won't eat her apple there for fruit time either. Im at wits end please help.

Ps she will drink fruit smoother though.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the opposite problem. My DS will eat almost any fruit but hardly any veges.

how about trying some really sweet seedless grapes? My DS loves them as I give them to him in a little container and let him carry it around as they are fairly mess free.

How about cutting a soft fruit like nectarine (or defrosted frozen blueberries) fairly fine and mixing with her favourite yogurt.

Maybe try diced strawberries/pineapple/peaches and juice in the form of icy poles.

perhaps you could try dried fruit? Dried apple, cranberries, prunes etc. just to see if it is the moist/sticky nature of many fruits putting her off.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StellarMaris For This Useful Post:

Belliaz  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have any great advice as I have the same problem with DD. the only thing I have managed to do in order to get her to eat anything remotely fruit like is to go back to purée. I do purée apple in a container for 3yo kinder and occasionally the raffertys garden 4 month plus fruit squeeze packs. I know it's not ideal but its better than nothing and nothing else I've tried works.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Belliaz  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have seen some freeze dried fruit too I think it was in the dried fruit section, or maybe the organic area. Has a totally different texture, crispy like a biscuit. Perhaps worth a try?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StellarMaris For This Useful Post:

Belliaz  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This could have been written by me about 12 months ago. My then 3 y/o wouldnt try fruit. I was even offering apple with sprinkles on it.

When she became "bribeable" I put tiny pieces of fruit in an Ikea ice cube try and told her if she tried each one she could have 3 smarties as a treat. She tried all the fruits, so I kept going with different fruits each day and eventually she started eating the fruit and not wanting the treat afterwards. Now, 12 months down the track she eats almost all fruit, except rockmelon. Tonight she had apricot and kiwi after dinner, her favourites are mango, grapes and cherries, but she eats apples, strawberries, watermelon, even pineapple. Frozen blueberries are a bit hit as well.

Here is a picture of the tray I am talking about.... http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/80149554/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Belliaz  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have tried all sorts of fruit, whole and cut up, grapes, plums, nectarines, mango, watermelon etc ( FIL works on a n orchard ), we tried frozen fruit in icy poles ( we have a special thing that you can cut shapes out and make faces in the side of the icy poles) she eats around the fruit, she dosent like dired fruit either. She does like home make fruit leather but i have to wait for MIL to make it and she's not allowed it at kindy. I like the bribary lol and shall try the ice tray this weekend. I shall up date you all

PS on the vegie thing try cauliflower and potato with a cheese sauce or gravy, slowly add different vegies each time like one little piece with lots of encouragement. Had to do this with DD when she went of vegies for a week.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Belliaz For This Useful Post:

StellarMaris  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How does she feel about desserts? Would apple/berry crumble with custard help? Pike lets with grated pear and mashed banana in the batter?

whole juices that include the pulp like nudies?

not ideal I know but might help her get a taste for it?

the only way I can get my son to eat veges at the moment is to make them so fine he can't find them in the rest of the dish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to StellarMaris For This Useful Post:

Belliaz  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 3 yr old that won't try fruit

Its not exactly the same, but as a kid I hated parsnips but loved yellow carrots. Lol.

Is it possible to give her a red potato or a yellow carrot, etc? Though I hate the texture of banana, so I understand the dislikw there.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Belliaz  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default 3 yr old that won't try fruit

I second the freeze dried fruit (healthier than dried) Bellamys organic do apple or I get mine from a shop in Bondi if you are in Sydney!

To be honest , they really only need 1 - 1 1/2 serve of fruit per day at that age - its brilliant she eats veggies - does she eat tomato? That's really a fruit!

Do you guys eat a lot of fruit? Make a bowl of fresh fruit salad ( a big variety) every day for afternoon snack and sit down and eat it , keep offering and one day she will probably try it!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 3 yr old that won't try fruit

She hates desert, cakes or apple pie/ crumble fan. Im Like whoohoo more for me. Dh hates fruit and desert also. Is more a vegies man lol i eat fruit but not always. I can see why she is not to interested but its hard for kindy. I accidentally gave her crackers for kind which the teacher took away and cut up spare fruit WHICH SHE ATE. I might try carrots in her box and stick with the bribing lol. So is freeze dried fruit in the health food section? Thanks for your help

Sent from my GT-N7000 using BubHub
    Last edited by Belliaz; 15-02-2013 at 14:46.