+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long did it take your child to settle into daycare?

My ds is 3 and has started daycare recently. He goes on Fridays and basically cries the whole 5hrs he is there. Will this go on forever?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hopefully not!!!
    My 2.5 yr old spent the first month or so crying when I dropped him off, and crying before I picked him up. He also only goes 1 day - which some people say is worse, because it's a whole week before they go back again.

My son took about 2 months but has settled now and actually has fun during the day, lol. I think a big part are the staff and how they treat the crying kids, if they settle them/hug them or leave them alone to cry.

A couple of times I also printed out a photo of our family for him to take to daycare. Another time I gave him a little cheap toy that he lost, but at least he had something that he could carry around and show the other kids, that definitely helped.

It's heartbreaking, but don't beat yourself up over it. Change is hard. Hopefully he'll settle and grow to enjoy it.

Thanks
    Reviews

My 8 month DS cried all day at his childcare... And wouldn't sleep...

I found a new carer, he is soooo happy now... Sleeps 2 x 2 hour sleeps at daycare. It's amazing the difference..

If your not happy there is no harm in trying another carer

Best choice I ever made

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Im going to suggest you up the days to 2/ wk. Once a week is too little for your child to get used to the place.

It usually takes 2-6 wks to settle in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I agree with R&A - my DS didn't settle until he was going 2/3 days per week. When it was only 1 day it was much harder.

Now he high fives me when I drop him off!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

I agree Pesca!! My DS was going Tues and Thurs last year and cried every time. I picked up the Wednesday as well this year and he now waves and smiles and blows me kisses when I leave

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I agree with the above. My DD was going to daycare 1 day a week for 2 years and cried every single time DH dropped her off. She now goes 2 days and suddenly loves it, she doesn't even bother saying bye to daddy let alone cling to his leg like she used to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it depends on the child.

My son (struggles socially) went from FDC to a centre at 3. He didn't really cry, but he was pretty miserable for at least 6 months, and sort of just hung around the edges. He then made a close friend, and his whole attitude changed. Once he sees his friend, he runs off without looking backward.

I found the carers werent very proactive at pairing him up with another child. I find you have to be quite explicit in asking them about it.

Thanks
    Reviews

As I childcare worker we tell parents to allow 6weeks for a part time child, so a bit longer in your case. Is your centre open to orientation? We highly recommend parents come to the centre regularly two weeks before they start and spend time there with their children. An hr here two there at different times of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: How long did it take your child to settle into daycare?

I'm an ex childcare worker, some children adjust well, others take a while. Depends on your child.

Are you nervous/anxious/upset or any negative feeling dropping them off? They can feel this even if you don't say it.

I agreed with pp, if you can, do visits so its familiar! Our centre has an "open door"policy meaning we are welcome anytime.

My ds' started one morning a week may last year at 14mnths. He never cried once, and was going fine for the first 2 months. He got sick and missed 3 weeks. Since then he cries and clings to me on drop off every time.

This week they were outside, he cried, but before I was through the door inside to the hallway he was smiling and off playing.

I always talk to him the night before and randomly in the week about what he does, the staff and children, and always make sure its exciting.