+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Travel advice - Disneyland or Disney World?

Not sure if there is a travel section I could have put this...mods please move if there is.

I am looking for advice from fellow hubbers if we shoud do Disneyland or Disney World with our DD who will be 3-4 years old.

We did Disneyland for our honeymoon 5 years ago and it was amazing and I imagine it would be easily do-able with DD but wondering if we would regret doing the same park again OR enjoy it more because it is smaller?

The Flights to Orlando are a bit more expensive and due to the sheer size of Disney World I assume we would need atleast a week there. Whereas Disneyland and California Adventure Park was easily done (when it was just the two of us) on a 3 day park hopper. And then the next thing I wonder, is 7 days at Disney World...would we actually be sick of it after 7 days. Would the fun wear off?

My ultimate goal was to do Canada, New York then Orlando (Disney World) and do it over Xmas/New Year so we could experience our first ever white Christmas and have NY overseas. But the cost is more than triple around that time of year whereas October/November the prices are excellent...so now I just don't know if I could justify spending 3 or 4 times the amount for the same holiday with a bit of snow. Plus would the theme parks be as enjoyable with the cold weather (obviously it doesn't snow is Miami but I assume it would be fairly mild).

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Disney world all the way love it although we never actually spent 7 days only on Disney we normally do sea world and universal but universal with a 4 year old is not really much fun...disney world in itself has I think 4 different park plus 2 water parks
    I can't recommend Orlando enough love it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I've done both and plan to take DS to Disneyland when he is 5 pretty much for the same reasons you are thinking - its smaller and not as much travel
    At that age - I would then like to take him to Disney World when he is maybe 11 as it is huge and a lot further to travel - we took
    5 days just to see everything but you could easily spend longer with kids!

A friend of ours actually works for Disney in Anaheim and she said the best time to go is Halloween! She said its so much fun ( plus end of October cheaper!) and the best thing is in the 12 hour period once the park shuts after Halloween they transform the whole place into a winter Xmas wonderland so you get to experience Xmas decorations and celebrations Disney style! So we are going Halloween 2014- DS will have just turned 5 and I can't wait!!!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 24-06-2013 at 00:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you both for the replies - keep 'em coming ladies

Elijah's mum - thank you, great advice! That's right, our wedding was 1st of November so we arrived a few days later and they still had some Halloween decorations up but as you said, it would be huge the days prior and on Halloween! How exciting. I think for the price of things I am leaning towards Disneyland. Flights are pretty much direct too, whereas Orlando might be a bit of stuffing around.

I just want to really enjoy our time there and not over do it. I like your suggestion about doing DisneyWorld when your DS is 10. My first thought was even at 3-4 years old the pram would be a MUST! haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijah's mum - if you are mostly doing Disneyland how long are you planning to go for? It's seems almost a waste to just go for a few days. And then if you go for longer what other things would you do there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We will be at Disneyland on Sunday so will let you know how it is! We have combined with a snow holiday.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

nicole83  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've done both, and would go for Disneyland with a little one, for the reasons you've mentioned.

Halloween is a great time of year to go!

I have been over Christmas before, and I wouldn't do it again. It was quite warm, but Xmas Day was PACKED. A Disney cast member told me that it was their busiest day of the year (shudder).

Thanks
    Reviews
    KW123 - wow enjoy your trip!!

Girl X - My White Christmas plan had us in Canada for Christmas, New York for New Years and then DisneyWorld the week after. I don't think I am brave enough or DH patient enough to stand in lines on Christmas Day!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We want to go away for 2 and a half weeks, we plan on staying in LA for a week, a few days in LA ( we have friends there) and I'm thinking 4 or 5 days in Anaheim - I don't want to rush it and want to stay at the Disneyland Hotel!
    I love Las Vegas so would love to go back for a few days but not sure if it will be too boring for DS ( we are hoping my sister and niece and other family may come- if they do then Vegas it is!!)
    Then we will spend the rest of the time in Hawaii on the way home

We did new years eve in New York in 2008 and it was just wonderful!!! We definitely hope to go back a few times with DS , you will have a blast!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    KW123 - wow enjoy your trip!!

Girl X - My White Christmas plan had us in Canada for Christmas, New York for New Years and then DisneyWorld the week after. I don't think I am brave enough or DH patient enough to stand in lines on Christmas Day!!
    That sounds like a pretty amazing trip! I think that, whatever you decide, you can't really make a wrong choice!