+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh, make sure that you have the tools and screws for you beds all together and easy to find. When you do move, put the beds together first and put sheets etc on as you will be far too tired to do it at the end of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I store a lot of things in those plastic tubs with lids (fabric, old clothes for next kids etc) and during my recent move the removalists explained they had to tell me that their insurance does not cover damage to goods in those sort of boxes as they can crack easily once stacked as high as they can in the truck. So I would not use them for anything valuable.

Also, get small boxes for books. Even the 'book carton' removalists sell get so heavy once loaded up. Supermarkets don't usually keep boxes out the back for you anymore (fire hazard) if you ask, but if you go early in the morning (for bakery/perishable depts) or later at night (ffor grover aisles) you can still get the boxes right away as they unpack them.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Moving house- packing tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Oh, make sure that you have the tools and screws for you beds all together and easy to find. When you do move, put the beds together first and put sheets etc on as you will be far too tired to do it at the end of the day.
    Great idea- we moved in September and I put screws/ Allan key in a ziplock bag and taped it to the piece of furniture it belonged to. It helps make sure you use the right screws for the right piece of furniture.

I also packed larger toys (ikea plastic table, kids mini tramp, tricycles, etc) in wardrobe cartons since they were too big for regular cartons.

Make sure there is absolutely no space in your boxes if you have breakables in your boxes. If the items can move at all, they're more likely to break, so pack tightly with rolled up tea towels/washers around the edges to full up any gaps.

I'm sure my careful packing was the reason we managed to move interstate in September without any breakages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Use towels etc to wrap breakable items (saves having to get newspaper!)

Put clothes in suit cases etc

And get rid of everything you don't want NOW!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Number every box and write a list with each box number, what's in it (roughly) and what room each box belongs to.

Depending on how far you're moving, pack the clothes into the car still on hangers, so much easier.