+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Concerning about reaching milestones

Hi all, i know i been settled down by everyone now and i am supposed to relax as every baby develops differently but, there are concerns that just doesnt seem right with me. My son is now 5 month 3rd week and he doesnt roll over nor he doesnt attempt too.. I give him plenty of of tummy time and he has gotten slowly used to it but still nothing... Not a single move to either side.. On his back same thing.. He draws up his legs thats it... Then the other thing is that he wont reach for any objects by himself.. He will rarely grab objects when offered, but he does however play with his electronic toys when he sits on my lap... He doesnt try to get a move around at all, these two things absolute kill me and bug me.. Why cant he just reach for things and give me a little hint of moving.. Even just a little... Bubba was born healthy with 4.19 kg and 51 cm and has always been on the 90 % perce scale

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you are very concerned you should make a dr appt or one with your health nurse. But you are right every baby does reach milestones at different rates and the guidelines are just an estimate.

I do have 2 friends who both have sons and they to expressed concern about there development. One friend had her son checked and he was fine, he is now a happy healthy 2 year old, the other hasn't seen a dr or health nurse but he is only 8 months now, but at 7 months he wasn't rolling or grasping. Havent seen them for a few weeks so don't know how he is ATM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Bigger babies can sometimes have troubles with rolling.

In regards to the reaching, 5 months is still pretty young but maybe ring to see the child health nurse to asses him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think this thread needs to be moved...

Honestly don't worry about this! My DS is 8 months and a chubba bubba. He hated tummy time until about 7 months. Even now only lasts a few minutes. He rolled from back to front regularly at about 6.5 months but couldn't get back the other way until about a month later (cue lots of me having to roll him back due to him hating being on his tummy lol!).

He has only just started sitting up properly. He is not crawling yet although everyone else from mothers group is (but they're all tiny girls!).

It doesn't worry me that he does things in his own time. I also don't have him on the floor as much as others as we are out and about a lot. And I do think its harder for bigger babies.

Just keep doing what you're doing

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Jvo84  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My babe didn't roll until 7 months. She was born little (1.9kg and prem). I was concerned and kept raising it with my paed and he suggested taking her to physio lessons but honestly I only took her once and they said to hold her facing out and spin around so her vestibula? works properly (something about balance). I agree with others to get him checked out for your peace of mind but try not to let it worry you too much (I know that's easier said than done!) Good luck.