Closed Thread
Page 8 of 89 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not sure how you see a distinction between CDs and FAQs. And don't get me started on autocorrect!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I'm not sure how you see a distinction between CDs and FAQs. And don't get me started on autocorrect!
    I think she means "compact disc" can be pluralised to "compact discs" hence CDs, but "frequently asked questions" cannot be pluralised to "frequently asked questionss", hence not FAQs.

I hate misused apostrophes so much that I now shudder when I see apostrophes at all, even when used correctly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you Shelle!

I understand lamb jam is making the point that in theory, FAQ could stand for frequently asked question, but it's a bit tenuous really. I think it is accepted that FAQ stands for frequently asked questions (plural).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Thank you Shelle!

I understand lamb jam is making the point that in theory, FAQ could stand for frequently asked question, but it's a bit tenuous really. I think it is accepted that FAQ stands for frequently asked questions (plural).
    Yes, I agree also.

Thank you Lambjam for clearing up the photo's/photo' thing. The other day I saw a takeaway shop in a food court with a sign saying "combo's" and I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt by thinking that just possibly the apostrophe could be acceptable to signify the missing letters in "combination". It still didn't sit right and now I know why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree. It only occurred to me recently that people are inserting an apostrophe in those circumstances because it's a shortened word. I'd previously assumed it was just general overuse of the plural apostrophe as people think you must put an apostrophe before S ever used at any time, apparently.

I think the apostrophe unwritten law for those lacking grammatical confidence is 'if in doubt, don't do it'.

The absence of an apostrophe that SHOULD be there is less offensive than the presence of an apostrophe that shouldn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Thank you Shelle!

I get where you're coming from, but I think you'll find you're in the minority. "FAQs" is actually making the leap from initialism to acronym, and in that form is pronounced "fax" rather than "fack", indicating that people generally observe the "s".
    Last edited by lambjam; 10-03-2013 at 12:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm on an apostrophe rampage now!

Out with the kids this morning and saw these 3 signs...not sure if I'll be allowed to upload all three in the one post.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1362881331.121718.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1362881347.703231.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1362881363.503626.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (10-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As an aside, I can't express how much I love the fact that there are other people who feel passionately enough to debate this. I was thinking this morning about how much I love the apostrophe, and I feel much less weird among you

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (10-03-2013),αληθη  (10-03-2013),kw123  (10-03-2013),Mezmerised  (13-03-2013),moongazer  (10-03-2013),veggiemama  (11-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I get where you're coming from, but I think you'll find you're in the minority. "FAQs" is actually making the leap from initialism to acronym, and in that form is pronounced "fax" rather than "fact, indicating that people generally observe the "s".
    Oh dear you are right.

Nevertheless, I cannot and will not put 'FAQs' on any website I run.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm on an apostrophe rampage now!

Out with the kids this morning and saw these 3 signs...not sure if I'll be allowed to upload all three in the one post.

Attachment 33137

Attachment 33138

Attachment 33139
    Omg. How could this happen?