Closed Thread
Page 7 of 87 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 870
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,005
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked
    3,524
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post
    No excuses for the "kids", but since they left the e out of lunchboxes, wouldn't that apostrophe (unfortunately) be correct?
    Nope.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post
    No excuses for the "kids", but since they left the e out of lunchboxes, wouldn't that apostrophe (unfortunately) be correct?
    No!!!!!!

    It would only be correct if talking about the lunchbox's lid etc.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 10-03-2013 at 08:41.

  3. #63
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post
    No excuses for the "kids", but since they left the e out of lunchboxes, wouldn't that apostrophe (unfortunately) be correct?
    There is some logic to this, and I've seen it come up in defence of "photo's". Because "photos" is an abbreviation of "photographs", the argument is that an apostrophe is legit. However, it's only legit if you would use it in the singular as well, ie "look at this lovely photo' of my coffee" which no one ever does.

    In this case it's a bit different because the plural is formed with "es" so the apostrophe could be argued to be omitting the "e", however I would argue that was a misspelling.

    So it's either shocking punctuation or shocking spelling, your choice

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,935
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    1,325
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't stand apostrophes used for that reason.

    Ie faq's

    No.

    There is no faq's.

  5. #65
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    I can't stand apostrophes used for that reason.

    Ie faq's

    No.

    There is no faq's.
    There's no hard and fast rule for this one, it's a question of which style guide you're using. Another factor is whether you go with "F.A.Q." or "FAQ".

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,935
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    1,325
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No lamb jam!! It must be FAQ, or alternatively f.a.q.

    You can't pluralise an acronym! Why would you? Surely the q stands for questions. Why would you shorten the word to its first letter but NOT include the s and then have to add the s? Nononononono

    *rocks*

  7. #67
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    No lamb jam!! It must be FAQ, or alternatively f.a.q.

    You can't pluralise an acronym! Why would you? Surely the q stands for questions. Why would you shorten the word to its first letter but NOT include the s and then have to add the s? Nononononono

    *rocks*
    f.a.q.? In lowercase? You might want to verify that

    Like I said, it depends on your style guide. I didn't write them! But my own preference is FAQs, CDs, MDs, etc.

    ETA oh you mean there shouldn't be an "s" at all? Because it belongs at the end of the word "questions"? No... no, it requires an "s". Otherwise how do you differentiate between one CD and many CDs? It's possible there is only one frequently asked question, if there are more then the "s" represents that.
    Last edited by lambjam; 10-03-2013 at 09:58.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    αληθη  (10-03-2013)

  9. #68
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It becomes even more interesting when the plural is not formed in the last word, eg prisoners of war, Members of Parliament. It's most common to write POWs, MPs, but I've read that one of our PMs used to use "M'sP".

  10. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,935
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    1,325
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lamb jam I take your point re CD. Nevertheless, I think FAQ is accurate. Even my ipad autocorrect concurs.

  11. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,935
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    1,325
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also true re sahms etc. Although a case may be made for the s, I will never concede the apostrophe ie wahm's.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Where's the spelling & grammar vent thread gone?!?
    By 4fullstop in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 19:05
  2. Firbank grammar school or Shelford girls grammar school
    By Justmovedmelbourne in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-03-2013, 20:02
  3. Spelling and Grammar Vent Thread #2
    By Savingfishfromdrowning in forum General Chat
    Replies: 735
    Last Post: 13-02-2013, 20:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Shapland Swim Schools
Semi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools are located across Brisbane, Ipswich and the Sunshine Coast, ensuring there's a school near you.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!