Closed Thread
Page 16 of 89 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Glad to be of assistance. As soon as I saw the pic I thought of this thread and now I can't share

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe you could Photoshop little $&@* over the appropriate spots!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    Mine got deleted cause it had swear words in the pic . Oops

I know, but you wrote "sore this the other day" or something like that, so I asked, "sore?" Did you mean to write that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did mean to write that. Joking cause it's a spelling thread .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From The Sunday Telegraph, 24 March: As long as we still make sense, we should rejoice at the death of some English words

A few weeks ago, while playing football, a team-mate tried to organise us before our opponents took a free kick. “Who’s marking who?” he shouted. And, being the good journalist that I am, I leant over, tapped him on the shoulder, and said: “Ahem. Who’s marking whom.” I didn’t get invited back for weeks.
    It was with enormous relief, then, that I read in The Atlantic magazine this week that the zombie word “whom” is finally dying, and I can at last shout “Who’s on who?” with the rest of the team. It’s been on the decline since the mid-1820s, apparently, but its fall has become precipitous in recent decades; the internet may have hastened it, but writing has been becoming more conversational for a long time, and “whom” is just too stuffy, too formal, to survive.
    Sometimes, as the language changes, it’s forgivable to feel a little sad. As a philosophy graduate, I still wince a little when someone says “That begs the question…” and then asks an actual question. “That’s not what it means!” I harrumph. “It means to assume your conclusion in your premise.” And, yes, I know “literally” has sometimes been used to mean “really” since Dickens, but still, a football commentator saying that a player is “literally on fire” makes me shudder. We are allowed to feel protective of the words we love, even if it’s silly.
    “Whom”, on the other hand, should die unmourned. The usual claim is that these changes somehow make us unable to express concepts, that language will steadily devolve into an incomprehensible soup of noise. People who make this argument rarely explain how, 600 years after Chaucer, English is as powerful a tool of communication as ever. Perhaps there is occasional confusion over the (not very) new meaning of “literally”, but no one, in the history of English, has ever misunderstood a sentence because someone said “who” instead of “whom”. My football episode illustrates the point: “Who’s on who?” is exactly as clear as “Who’s on whom?” – and significantly less pompous. “Who do you want to speak to?” makes perfect sense (with preposition proudly sitting at the end of the sentence), even if amateur grammarians might prefer “To whom do you wish to speak?”
    No doubt a few people will be appalled at the idea of giving up the “whom” fight; perhaps the same people who will go to barricades overthe imagined inviolability of the infinitive. “I don’t care if it makes sense, it’s still not correct English,” they will say. But what defines “correct English”, if not the way English is used? If there’s some perfect Platonic form of the language floating through the ether – sounding like a voiceover from a 1944 Pathé newsreel, I expect – I’ve yet to find it. To whom it may concern: we no longer need be concerned about “whom”. Let us rejoice.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

veggiemama  (25-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    'go over the barricades'

*giggles*

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm quite happy to see the end of "whom". I don't mind hearing a misused "who" nearly as much as a misused "whom"... That's just a bit gaaahhhhh

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (25-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was in Sierra Cafe today, (not sure if it is in Aussie too), and they had this beautifully handwritten sign for PASTACHIO Shortbread. Pastachio. Worst thing was when I recounted this incident (including spelling) for the group I was training with, don't think anyone got the issue.

pastachio.jpg
    Last edited by upforroundtwo; 25-03-2013 at 15:44.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I'm quite happy to see the end of "whom". I don't mind hearing a misused "who" nearly as much as a misused "whom"... That's just a bit gaaahhhhh
    I never learnt how to use 'whom' properly so I'm a misuser of 'who' lol.

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Should add while and whilst to that list!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (25-03-2013),kw123  (25-03-2013)