+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you need to have your heart set on a VB to try for a VBAC?

I'm only 23 weeks, so still lots of time to decide - but I've had more than 5 years to think about this and I'm still not sure! I've never had my 'heart set' on having a VB - I always just considered it a natural and necessary process of life. Having gone into spontaneous labour and having and emergency C-section for reasons that would not exclude VBAC this time - I do not feel any less of a woman, or any unfulfilled 'need' with regards to DD's birth.

My biggest motivator for wanting a VBAC is the recovery - it was not impossible, but it was harder than 99% of VB mum's that I know.

My biggest motivators for an elective is that all our family are interstate, so a scheduled birth is a plus (but then DD came 3 weeks early - so I know a date is never guaranteed). Also, it feels a bit "better the devil you know" - I know what the procedure will (should) be like and the recovery.

So did you push for a VBAC because you really wanted a VB, or just because it sort of seemed better? I just wonder if, without a burning drive to VB, I'll 'give up' on VBAC half way through and be left buggered from labour + recovering from CS.

My OB and the hospital midwives support either option for me.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wanted a VBAC mainly because my Ob explained that it was the safest way to give birth, that was enough to convince me, so I planned for that. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way due to preterm labour with various complications.
    I don't necessarily think that if you don't crave a vb that it won't happen, I actually think it is better to go with the flow, I found my recovery so much better the second time because I had come to terms with the fact that I may need a repeat csection, so I was ready for whatever came. Despite being an emergency, the second csection recovery was a bazillion times easier than the first, even with a toddler.
    All the best

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Do you need to have your heart set on a VB to try for a VBAC?

You sound like me lots of people will tell you 'oh yes, get ready to fight for your vbac because it will be a long and bloody battle'. I was hoping for a vbac, and wasn't going to be pushed around by Obs scare tactics, but on the other hand, I was quite willing to have an elective in some circumstances (eg, if i went 10 days over I wanted an elective, not to be induced and I didn't want to go over that time frame) my tactic was to fly under the radar. Smile and nod at the Obs when they talked about the risks and all the interventions they wanted for me. Then just rock up in full blown labour and have my baby. It worked you do need to get yourself educated though, just to keep yourself steady in your convictions, because they really will try to scare you. Don't let them, but also don't feel like you have to vbac if you'd rather an elective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in the same boat as you so I'm interested to see what people have to say too!

I'm not even 6 weeks but already it's playing on my mind. I had a really good recovery with my c-section, but, I'm worried that the second time around with a toddler in tow it may be a little exhausting recovering from a c-section?!

Not to mention not driving and simple things like washing. My mum took time off to help last time but I don't want anyone around this time (too stressful) so that's another factor to consider I guess.

I have a lot of research to do. It's already freaking me out haha

Thanks
    Reviews

That is sad fearless leader, I would have changed obs if I were you, I think I would have had to fight mine for an elective.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Do you need to have your heart set on a VB to try for a VBAC?

Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    That is sad fearless leader, I would have changed obs if I were you, I think I would have had to fight mine for an elective.
    I didn't have an Ob, I was public. So I just saw an Ob at 16 weeks (first visit), at 36 weeks and 38 weeks. Same one for the last two visits, and she was all 'come in at 39 weeks to be induced' and I said 'no thanks I'll come in at 40 weeks to get my cervix checked and then I'll decide what I want to do next.' I gave birth 3 days before my EDD, but if I'd gone to the appointment i would have just said I was coming back at 41 weeks, either for a stretch and sweep if things were looking favourable, or to book an elective for the following week if things weren't. Now i don't know what would have happened if I'd gone to 41 weeks, or even 40, if they would have ramped up their campaign, but I think the fact that I mostly played along with them meant that they had no red flags that i was going to be a 'troublemaker' so i just came in and had my vbac, and an Ob never even came in the room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankfully my OB and his colleague (2 out of the 3 Drs who deliver at that hospital) are both very pro-VBAC. The hospital also leans more towards VBAC as well. So I'm not feeling like I need to fight anyone at this stage. The 3rd OB (who, as a public patient, could be rostered on when I go into labour) however does not support VBAC. I expect if he is on though the midwives will only call him into the room if really necessary.

So the determination I will need is more for the actual birth itself - not the lead-up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any of the weekend ladies want to share their experiences with needing to be determined (or not) to have a VBAC?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The answer is YES and NO ( thats incredibly helpful isnt it)

Yes - you do need to know WHY you want a VBAC.
    Most hospitals now are very supportive of VBAC so its often even assumed you will be having a vaginal delivery unless you request otherwise. However every Tom,**** and Harry on the street will want to tell you why you CANT have a VBAC and try to put the fear of god in you . There will also be a number of OB's who will tell you the risks and try to deter you from having a VBAC. This is why its important to know the facts, have done your research and know in your heart why a VBAC is right for you. I had a VBA2C and my 36 week appointment was confronting as I had 3 OB's try to tell me I was risking my babies life but because I had done my research I understood where their information was coming from and the flaws in the research so I was able to remain clear headed and calm. Thats one of those moments you need to know why you are having a VBAC or you will just give up and sign the Csection forms.

On the Other hand No you dont need to be 100% convinced its the best and only way to birth your baby because like any birth you need to be able to make the best choices for your baby at the time and sometimes a csection is the best choice.

My advice is to write a birth plan for a vaginal delivery and a birth plan for a csection ( there are many options for csection delivery now so a plan is a great way to get informed about your choices and make your birth your own. So to speak. ) Read through both your plans and see which one you feel happier about. Perhaps put a date on the csection ie 42 weeks and if labour starts spontaneously prior to that then go with the flow.

Remember its your baby and your birth and there are no right or wrong ways to birth, its all about you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GDEE For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a vbac cause there was no way in hell i was going to have a c-section unless my life or my babies depended on it.
    My c-section was horrendous!
    I didnt have to push for it, my hospital was fine with it, however like Fearlessleader i flew under the radar too, i noded and agreed all the way through my pregnancy as i didnt need to be stressed about what i may encounter at my birth. I am a doula so knew what i may have been up against. When i went in i had, had stop start contractions but i was bleeding alot so thought i better get checked. I opted to stay, long story short i was only monitored for 20mins when i was in labour as thats all i agreed to. I done what i wanted to do, midwives left me alone it was great. My son was born and it was perfect. I was up a couple or hrs after to have a shower, i could tend to my baby etc etc etc recovery was awesome!

I dont think you need that desire to have a vb to achive it....give it a shot if thats what you would like to do, it's well worth it

Good luck with your decision