+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Withdrawing a child from a Catholic school

First post removed by user.
    Thread: 487930
    Last edited by BH-tech; 25-02-2016 at 10:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I've just been researching schools to send DS to. Some schools said they needed a full terms notice, others said they needed written notice ASAP

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It should just be pro rata, that's what happened with us at both schools.

I would tell the teacher and the principal. No need to give reasons, just say that she'll be leaving on 'this date', thanks very much for your help :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    They all differ, you really need to make an appointment to speak to the principl asap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    principal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    depends on the contract you signed with the school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask why you are leaving? Its okay if you dont want to share. I have submitted applications to both our local catholic and public schools for my DD for next year. I am having a tour with the principal at both schools in the next couple of weeks so I just wondered if there was something particular at the Catholic School you didnt like, or if it was just something at your school that wouldnt be applicable at all schools.

Thanks
    Reviews

Before we were moving states DD1 was going to stay at her private school for under a whole term. They needed it in writing the date when she will last attend the school. In regards to the fees I was only going to have to pay pro-rata of the fees which included building levy, term fees etc. This isn't the case for all private schools but you could ring the accounts section anonymously and they could inform you of costs.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Most schools will have something on the school website about withdrawing time frames and fee obligations. Just call the office and ask them. Just say that for private family reasons you need to change schools and could they let you know what has to be done to transfer reports and with fees. You have no obligation to tell them anything except that you want to change schools.

There is no legal document stating that your child must stay at the same school for a whole year.

Just go to your local public school and let them know you have a child who is transferring and fill in the enrolment forms. Easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by me+he=3 View Post
    Thank you all ever so much for all your help.

Little update: I dropped the forms off at the public school this afternoon and was told she could start this Friday if we wanted. I never realised it can all happen so quickly. I've decided she can start a week on Monday so it doesn't completely freak her out.

I then went to the school office and asked what the procedure was for withdrawing a child. Apparently I have to fill in a form, the Principal rings you to discuss (though I don't see the point...we've made our minds up) and we have to give a terms notice and pay fees accordingly.

We've decided to tell them that we'll pay the terms fees but she won't be there for the term. We figure if we're going to do this, do it now.

GirlsRock, we're doing this for loads of reasons. Firstly, when she was in kindy last year, her teacher was useless and we hated her. Didn't know how to approach 6yr olds and had no communication with the parents. But we agreed to see how things were this year. Well, come this year and turns out they do this thing called Open Learning where the whole year basically learn together...there are 100 kids in Year 1!! DD is quiet and reserved and this set up has really unsettled her. All of the friends she made in kindy have been separated from her and she's freaked out by that to the point where I think its taking away from her learning. While I'm sure it works for some kids, I don't believe its right for her. I also don't believe it will be right for DS when the time comes (DD2 is too young to see)

Also, they've raised the fees significantly this year and we're getting to the stage where its a bit worrying to think we've got to put 3 of them through that school. Also regarding finances, they are CONSTANTLY after money. Last week we got a list of the years fees and the next day a letter asking us to buy and sell raffle tickets to send 2 kids from another school to Brazil!! It gets to the point where it just feels like a constant money grab!

Also, both schools scored the same in NAPLAN. So there was no comparison there.

The public school has a class of no more than 22 (31 in her current "class"), they don't do this open learning thing, there are no astronomical school fees and I feel she'd do a lot better there.

HTH
    Thank you. It does actually help because the Catholic school we are looking at also does open learning, although with 50 preps as opposed to 100. Its good to know you didnt think it would work for your child, I now know to ask some additional questions about it, and about fees / fund raising etc. I should add that I do like the idea of open learning and think my DD will be fine with it, but totally understand its not for everyone.

All the best with the transfer, hopefully your DD thrives.