+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0
    I second/third/fourth the public option, a good friend of mines daughter needed her tonsils removed and she called around to all of the public hospitals she could find until she found one with about a 6 month wait period. I think they also classify how bad the situation is so a child that has chronic tonsillitis will receive a higher rating and be seen to quicker, so it might help to have the doc write a letter saying how bad it has been.

    And totally agree - you are not a bad parent at all, the fact that you are trying to make it work shows this.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrskiki For This Useful Post:

    Ready To Run  (13-02-2013)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    748
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    75
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I second this.

    My DS2 suffered fro. Chronic tonsilitis (18 times in 2.5 years) and he is on the public list as we can't afford to go private at this time. He has been on the list for a year, but in the last 6 months he has only had tonsilitis twice, he is improving. I would request a public referral and maybe your Dr could even put in a request for it to be marked as high priority if he is having a lot of trouble with them?

    Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub
    My DS1 doesn't have it as bad as your DS. His main problem is that this nurse refuses to give him antibiotics he says that it's viral (Im sorry but when there is a large amount of white pus on a childs tonsils and they are not getting better that's generally a good sign that it's bacterial tonsillitis). He is the most hopeless case for a health professional I have ever seen . Anyway DS1 got sick quite a bit last year but not all from tonsillitis (we had the flu & a few other bugs). He maybe had 4 lots (mainly through the winter but then 1 at the end of last year). In the past he would get it up to 10 may 12 times a year So I (and another doctor I spoke to about it) thought he was growing out of it. That doctor said he didn't think DS would need them out. But the new doctor and this nurse want it. Anyway I will talk to DH tonight and suggest the public option Thanks to everyone for your help

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,110
    Thanks
    1,604
    Thanked
    2,087
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD had her tonsils out late last year and I'll explain how we did it as it semi fast-tracked it without a lot of expense.

    First of all, it doesn't sound like your DS needs his tonsils out urgently. My GP wanted me to wait until she was at least 4 as many kids 'grow out' of tonsilitis (in her case she has big tonsils which some kids 'grow into'). But as she continued to have back-to-back infections with barely a week or 2 between antibiotics during colds/flu season, I got her referred. Her tonsils were not causing her breathing difficulties and my main concern was that they were causing ear infections which impacted on her hearing/speech.

    I explained to the GP that we had no insurance and he knew of a specialist who has his own waiting list at the local public hospital. I then had a friend tell me about her specialist, who I rang, and they also had a public waiting list at the next closest public hospital (both semi-regional hospitals). So I got a referral to him (since he was highly recommended) from my GP and saw him privately (paying out of pocket for the 1st appt) but told them from the start that I would be a public patient, which they were happy with. The wait for the 1st appointment was about 3 weeks.

    The wait for the surgery was just under 8 months, and there were times during that time when I thought DD was over it, but just a month or so before it all started up again. The hospital contacted me about 3 weeks before and gave me the surgery date. They did not need to see me before the surgery (though I did see my GP to make sure she was over her latest bout). I stayed overnight with her (this is normal) in her room and then I had a contact phone call about 1.5 weeks later to make sure DD had recovered well. I am only 35km from a hospital, so we were allowed to go home.

    The only expense was the initial consult (of which I got a bit back from medicare). I paid nothing for any of the hospital expenses.

    As the surgery does not sound super-urgent, I would cancel the current arrangement as it sounds like you are being pushed into it. Can you ask the RFDS for a dose of antibiotics for him 'in case' to save them a trip out and they can show you how to identify if it is a bacterial infection? Don't know if they will do this though + they will need to leave it unmixed so it doesn't perish.

    I also think PP's idea to ring around the hopspitals in the city you will be going to to check waiting lists and also ask for the name(s) of the doctors who operate there publicly to get then get a referral.

    As an aside, regarding dropping your health insurance, I can highly recommend setting up a savings account for a 'health fund'. We opted not to get insurance as our income is too unreliable. I calculated the minimum we would pay for family hospital as a monthly payment and set that aside into a high-interest internet bank account linked to our other accounts. It takes discipline not to dip into it for anything other than medical expenses but it does add up surprisingly quickly.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

    Ready To Run  (13-02-2013)

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,110
    Thanks
    1,604
    Thanked
    2,087
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was typing while you were replying - sounds like the nurse is a &^%$ for sure! Can't believe they wouldn't give him antibiotics - it's their own fault they got called up on the weekend then!!

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

    HugsBunny  (13-02-2013),Ready To Run  (13-02-2013)

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,229
    Thanks
    1,515
    Thanked
    992
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Could you ask your GP for your DS to be referred to a public hospital? There will still be some costs, but not even close to $3,000.
    This!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post:

    Ready To Run  (13-02-2013)

  10. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    400
    Thanked
    149
    Reviews
    1
    I think the above replies are really good options, and ones you should strongly consider.

    However, if you do choose to go the private route, perhaps you can look at claiming some Superannuation to help with medical expenses?

    You will need to jump through some loops, but it is possible to have money paid out for things like this (including the transport/accommodation).

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

    Ready To Run  (14-02-2013)

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,334
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    95
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Could I please get a little advice - Stressed :(

    My son got his out not long ago, we went public and it was a wait but worth not having to fork anything out. It cost us nothing. Is there a public hospital closer to you? We had the option of going private and paying or just waiting in the public system. Also it was just a one night stay and if he bled it was just a trip to our closest emergency really. Wouldn't that be an option? Can only imagine how you are feeling but you are def not a failure so don't think like that! Hugs!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Monster & Boof For This Useful Post:

    Ready To Run  (14-02-2013)

  14. #28
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Public hospital absolutely! He may have to serve a wait time. But they will assess when they think it needs to be done. For non emergencies it is usually 180 days.

    We were in the exact same boat, something had to give, we left private health, we had our son booked for a endoscopy privately and were told it would be $3800. I told the GI that we couldn't afford that so he put him on the public list, he will still carry out the procedure, but it will be free. Phew. Otherwise there is no way.

    You are not bad parents!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ready To Run View Post
    Hi It's been a little while since I have been on here but I am really needing some advice on a really difficult situation for us. Just a little request in advance though: please no comments about us being bad parents, we already feel terrible. Thanks Our ds1 is scheduled to have his tonsils out in the first week of may this year. We were never really given a choice but the referral was just written and we were booked in to have it done privately. Its going to cost us about $3000.00 to have it done (That's the quotes we have been given by the receptionist). We don't have Private Health Insurance anymore - we cancelled it last year due to it becoming too expensive for us to afford. So apparently all of this cost is payable by us before the operation date. If it were only that - we would have a tight budget but it would be doable. But it's not. We need to be down there (it's a 1000km trip for us to the city) 4 days before for his appointment with the doctor and then a minimum of 10 days after the operation in case of bleeding. It's going to cost us a fortune for accommodation and fuel and our expenses for that amount of time. Then we have the problem that DH doesn't have enough holidays up as he took time off over Christmas (we couldn't even go anywhere because we couldn't afford it) and that time without pay will be the final nail in the coffin for us financially. The other problem we have is that the car needs some work done to it and new tyres before we go away so there's another $1500 we have to pull out of thin air There is 6 lots of wages to come in before then and to save the $3000.00 just for the operation means that we will be scraping but to save the rest of what we need is impossible. Also just to make things even "easier" for us - we have no family and our friends are about as financially crippled as we are, so nobody can help us out. So here is my problem in a nutshell. Our child needs an operation. We don't have enough money. We are supposed to be able to look after our kids but we can't even do this. We are a failure to our children because we can't provide for them. DH earns a reasonable wage but the cost of living is so high these days - we had to use the last of our savings to pay the power bill which was by the way $1250.00 for 3 months. We ran the air conditioners 24 hrs a day 7 days a week as it was so hot (over 45 most days and got to 50 it broke the records). Anyway I'm just looking for some advice - I'm so stressed out and DH is feeling really awful. What do we do?

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Ready To Run  (14-02-2013)

  16. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    darwin
    Posts
    2,583
    Thanks
    727
    Thanked
    650
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    are you able to reschedule the appointment to a later date that will allow you to save up for the other costs? Might Be something to consider/look into. Hope you are able to work something out. btw You are NOT bad parents. You are trying to do what you can to allow your son to get surgery. Oh and that nurse sounds like a douche!! Big hugs hun

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeySeeMonkeyDo For This Useful Post:

    Ready To Run  (14-02-2013)

  18. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    446
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    53
    Reviews
    0

    Default Could I please get a little advice - Stressed :(

    Sounds like you need to put yourself on a public waiting list - if you cant afford it then you cant afford it, don't feel bad, money doesn't grow on trees.

    A few hundred dollars subsidy is certainly going to be better than nothing.

    Try find accom on Wotif.com or lastminute.com and get something at a cheaper discounted rate or contact the hotel about residences available nearby that they own, although I believe these are usually for families with kids having cancer treatments, serious illness etc

    Good luck

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to newmummy2010 For This Useful Post:

    Ready To Run  (14-02-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. So Stressed!
    By Pumpkaboo in forum Weddings
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 16:00
  2. Stressed out Rant/Advice
    By avanicolesmummy in forum Single Parents
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 00:19
  3. stressed!
    By steffy89 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 15:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Riverton Leisureplex
An Extreme Family Pass at Riverton Leisureplex is the ultimate way to cool off during the summer school holidays. The $30 Pass allows pool and waterslide access for 2 adults and 2 children, as well as a drink, popcorn and an icy pole for each person.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
The MAMA Centre
Pregnancy, birth & beyond care with your very own midwife. Home & hospital birth support, VBACs, antenatal & postnatal care by medicare eligible midwives & holistic health practitioners. Massage, chiro, naturopathy, yoga, counselling & beauty therapy
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!