+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Would it be possible to go alone so hubby can still work, and contact the hospital to see if you can get accommodation at Ronald McDonald house or similar?
    Unfortunately I can't I have a 4 year old & a 2 year old as well and DH camps out working with no childcare and nobody we can leave them with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I would definitely request for it to go public. A friend's child has just had theirs out and were told it would be a long wait, but ended up only being a couple of months. Given your financial position, I'd push for public. You can always change to private later. Especially since its not urgent and is coming from the nurse.

How would we change to public?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Could I please get a little advice - Stressed :(

Can you go alone with your son, and get PT? My goddaughter was at a birthday party the day after hers, so she would have been fine on a train. You can probably stay the night in the hospital so you can avoid accommodation costs, and the car costs (for now).

Sorry if that's completely stupid.

Good luck xxxx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Ready To Run  (13-02-2013)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi ready to run, there must be some government assistance that you can use. Contact every gov dept you can think of, even your local state member. I take you are in a remote area so even the RFDS will be able to guide you towards some financial assistance. Surely a simple tonsilectomy is not meant to bankrupt a family. I dont know what else to suggest, and I am not suggesting you have done anything wrong. Marie.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Could I please get a little advice - Stressed :(

How often are his tonsils making him ill?

If you cannot afford it then that does not make you a bad parent. I'm sure there are a lot of families who could not afford that. We could not afford for my DH to take unpaid leave from work. Who would pay our mortgage and other bills?!

If I was you then I would be requesting a public referral from the doctor.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi ready to run, there must be some government assistance that you can use. Contact every gov dept you can think of, even your local state member. I take you are in a remote area so even the RFDS will be able to guide you towards some financial assistance. Surely a simple tonsilectomy is not meant to bankrupt a family. I dont know what else to suggest, and I am not suggesting you have done anything wrong. Marie.
    It was the RFDS Doctor that told us about the Patient Travel Subsidy. But that's it there just isn't any other help for people out here. Yes we are in a remote area - we get the RFDS here for a half day clinic 3 times per month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Could I please get a little advice - Stressed :(

Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    How often are his tonsils making him ill?

If you cannot afford it then that does not make you a bad parent. I'm sure there are a lot of families who could not afford that. We could not afford for my DH to take unpaid leave from work. Who would pay our mortgage and other bills?!

If I was you then I would be requesting a public referral from the doctor.
    I second this.

My DS2 suffered fro. Chronic tonsilitis (18 times in 2.5 years) and he is on the public list as we can't afford to go private at this time. He has been on the list for a year, but in the last 6 months he has only had tonsilitis twice, he is improving. I would request a public referral and maybe your Dr could even put in a request for it to be marked as high priority if he is having a lot of trouble with them?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are not a bad parent!

The reality is a lot of people don't have several thousand sitting around just in case. I know we don't.

Also, if you feel like the tonsilitis is resolving itself, you can say no to the surgery. It sounded from your post that you feel pushed into it. You and your DH have the final say don't forget...

If it were me I would transfer over to the waiting list and save as much as you can in the meantime. That way either he will get better and you can just wait and see how he is when his name comes up on the list, or if he is still getting frequent infections you can switch over to private and pay full fees while still having the safety net of the waiting list.

Probiotics help with boosting a lot of people's immune systems, I know they have helped our family enormously. For a cheap and effective option google 'kefir'. I have some spare kefir grains I can post you if you are interested. Just PM me your address if you want them.

Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    can you ask the dr you got referred to if you can go on a payment plan for the $3000? Just explain that it's really impossible at the moment to come up with everything at once.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Could I please get a little advice - Stressed :(

So sorry for you what a tricky situation x
    Which hospital will you be coming down to? Maybe you could contact their admissions to find out if they can help or give you advice (if u stick with the private hospital). If ur gp can't give you what you want try calling the Health Direct Line (I think that's what its called, can someone clarify?) they might be able to help or pass u on to someone who can. Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JessyJ For This Useful Post: