+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Could I please get a little advice - Stressed :(

Hi It's been a little while since I have been on here but I am really needing some advice on a really difficult situation for us. Just a little request in advance though: please no comments about us being bad parents, we already feel terrible. Thanks Our ds1 is scheduled to have his tonsils out in the first week of may this year. We were never really given a choice but the referral was just written and we were booked in to have it done privately. Its going to cost us about $3000.00 to have it done (That's the quotes we have been given by the receptionist). We don't have Private Health Insurance anymore - we cancelled it last year due to it becoming too expensive for us to afford. So apparently all of this cost is payable by us before the operation date. If it were only that - we would have a tight budget but it would be doable. But it's not. We need to be down there (it's a 1000km trip for us to the city) 4 days before for his appointment with the doctor and then a minimum of 10 days after the operation in case of bleeding. It's going to cost us a fortune for accommodation and fuel and our expenses for that amount of time. Then we have the problem that DH doesn't have enough holidays up as he took time off over Christmas (we couldn't even go anywhere because we couldn't afford it) and that time without pay will be the final nail in the coffin for us financially. The other problem we have is that the car needs some work done to it and new tyres before we go away so there's another $1500 we have to pull out of thin air There is 6 lots of wages to come in before then and to save the $3000.00 just for the operation means that we will be scraping but to save the rest of what we need is impossible. Also just to make things even "easier" for us - we have no family and our friends are about as financially crippled as we are, so nobody can help us out. So here is my problem in a nutshell. Our child needs an operation. We don't have enough money. We are supposed to be able to look after our kids but we can't even do this. We are a failure to our children because we can't provide for them. DH earns a reasonable wage but the cost of living is so high these days - we had to use the last of our savings to pay the power bill which was by the way $1250.00 for 3 months. We ran the air conditioners 24 hrs a day 7 days a week as it was so hot (over 45 most days and got to 50 it broke the records). Anyway I'm just looking for some advice - I'm so stressed out and DH is feeling really awful. What do we do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Could you ask your GP for your DS to be referred to a public hospital? There will still be some costs, but not even close to $3,000.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

babycake  (13-02-2013),beccacino  (18-02-2013),madreader  (14-02-2013),Ready To Run  (13-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Could I please get a little advice - Stressed :(

Not sure if this would help but have you tried speaking to your Gp that referred you? Could they maybe send you to a public hospital instead?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadaisy For This Useful Post:

Ready To Run  (13-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Could I please get a little advice - Stressed :(

Could you put your ds on the public waiting list ? You never know, they might have a cancellation come up and you mightn't have to wait too long.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

If your have to travel, there are some state my state govt. allowances to help with the costs of travel, accommodation etc. that your could maybe look into. You do not have to go private either. Yes for tonsils it's not seen as an emergency and depending on how often your child gets attacks, you can go down the public system path, which yes, means a waiting list, but it's another option to consider. Try to stop being so hard on yourself, life is tough!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to melissa20588 For This Useful Post:

Izy  (14-02-2013),Ready To Run  (13-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Could you ask your GP for your DS to be referred to a public hospital? There will still be some costs, but not even close to $3,000.
    Apparently there was a 4 year waiting list so the doctor said that was never even an option for us. I wasn't even us that requested DS1 have his tonsils out it was the stupid nurse that doesn't like attending to sick children after hours and on weekends. He has been getting it less times per year now that when he was little. Problem was that he got it at the end of last year and the stupid (I say stupid because there is no other word for him) nurse decided he didn't need antibiotics an left him and I kept taking him back and after 2 weeks with a very unwell child the RFDS doctor was finally able to see us and he gave him antibiotics but the stupid nurse came in a cracked up about having to call him out on weekends and he was missing out on time with his family because of it. So the doctor said he can have the tonsils out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't be hard on yourself. I know your son is sick and probably needs his tonsils out soon, but that expense sounds huge when you factor in the travel & accommodation. Speak to your GP about what other options are available. If you go through the public system the hospital should be 100% free (apart from medicines on discharge probably - by that should be $60 at most). Your GP probably also knows about what schemes are available for travel for operations/etc. You might find there is some funding for that and maybe even some accommodation available near the hospitals/etc. The main issue with going public is the fact that you might not get much warning about when the operation will be (eg. 1 week notice) and for you that might be a major issue.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Would it be possible to go alone so hubby can still work, and contact the hospital to see if you can get accommodation at Ronald McDonald house or similar?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

babycart  (13-02-2013),Izy  (14-02-2013),Ready To Run  (13-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa20588 View Post
    If your have to travel, there are some state my state govt. allowances to help with the costs of travel, accommodation etc. that your could maybe look into. You do not have to go private either. Yes for tonsils it's not seen as an emergency and depending on how often your child gets attacks, you can go down the public system path, which yes, means a waiting list, but it's another option to consider. Try to stop being so hard on yourself, life is tough!
    Thanks There is a patient travel subsidy, however it takes a minimum time of 6 weeks after we get back to be paid and it's only going to be a few hundred dollars anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would definitely request for it to go public. A friend's child has just had theirs out and were told it would be a long wait, but ended up only being a couple of months. Given your financial position, I'd push for public. You can always change to private later. Especially since its not urgent and is coming from the nurse.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post: