+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Skinny me up!

Welcome to my fat loss journal!

I'm sorely in need of some accountability, so if anyone actually reads this, please reply and tell me to put down the chocolate and go for a walk NOW...!

I'm on holidays for the next 8-12 weeks. I'm calling it long service leave, as I am funding the break with the LSL payout from my previous job, but I've actually quit so I will be job hunting towards the end of my break.

DD is at school Monday to Friday between 9 and 3.30. I figure if I can't get my flab and fitness sorted out now, I never will.

The complicating factor is my permanent back problems - I have arthritic degeneration in my lower spine, basically the cartilage between my two lowest vertebrae has gone, and will never come back. This has caused scoliosis in my upper spine, and a multitude of disc and joint issues which I doubt will ever be resolved. So my exercise options are extremely limited. Basically walking and pilates is it. If I could run, cycle and dance this would be a lot easier (and quicker) but anyhoo, it is what it is.

I don't actually have many kilos to lose. I'm around 60kg, which I know for a lot of people is a goal weight. However I am extremely pear shaped, and pretty much the entire 60kg is between my belly button and my knees. I am currently a size 14 in pants/skirts, I would love to get back to a size 10, which I was before I had DD (and I thought I was fat then!! Crazy!)

My goal isn't so much to lose kilos, it's more to fit into some old clothes that I've been hanging on to, thinking one day I will be able to wear them again. I took some photos yesterday wearing those clothes (or at least trying to):

IMG_2132 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2152 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2137 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2147 (800x600).jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    And just for a point of comparison, here's a pic of me when I was 22:

IMG_2154 (600x800).jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Skinny me up!

Shelle, there's a book called "Walk Yourself Thin". I think you would really benefit from it, particularly since that's one of the two exercises you can do! Pilates is amazing for toning and strengthening your core, too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK Day 1.

Here are my measurements:

Waist:78cm
    Hips: 99cm
    Left thigh: 60cm
    Right thigh: 61cm

I'm not concerned about my arms, bust or anything else like that (although they will lose the weight first grrr).

I have a physio appointment with a new pilates clinic this afternoon. Wasn't happy with my old one and it was super expensive, so giving a new one a go. However this one has already stuffed me around with appointments which doesn't bode well.

On Monday I plan to walk to the library (3.5km each way) and see if it has the book that Goblin Queen suggested.

Not sure if I'll be able to do anything over the weekend. DD has a birthday party tomorrow afternoon, if I don't have to stay I will go for a huge walk, but otherwise I won't get the chance to do any exercise as there is no way I could get a decent walk in with DD. She would be ok to ride her scooter while I walk, but we only really have one park down the street (about 5 minutes walk) and apart from that we are surrounded by busy roads. I can just imagine the reaction from DD if I suggested we walk with no actual destination

We did just get a wii fit (apparently my wii fit age is 43 eek!) if I can get DD to leave me alone for a bit I might jump on and see if there is anything low impact that I can do on it.

Good luck everyone! Looking forward to following everyone's successes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi Shelle - I think you look great already but I know the feeling of wanting to fit into old clothes. I took my measurement this morning and they're pretty much the same as yours give or take a centimetre but I'm a short a$$ so I look a bit rounder.

Have you thought about yoga? I'm doing it 2-3 times a week and have noticed changes already to my body, it's not a cardio work out but it definitely works on toning, strength and balance.

Enjoy your LSL - sounds divine!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Skinny me up!

Oooooh, there's lots of really good core strengthening and balance games on the Wii Fit! I think you'll really like them. There's also yoga poses which are good, too, if you can do them.

Don't worry too much about your Wii Fit age, it's based entirely on how well you can do their tests. I've had one for years and I've gotten really good at the tests, even when I was at my heaviest, it would tell me my Wii Fit age is -10 years lol! The worst I've gotten recently was -3 years because the walking test always screws me up except that one time I got it perfect!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Skinny me up!

Hey,

I started my weight loss journey 4 months ago on Sunday and have lost 25.5 kgs so far. I would suggest looking up Fit chick transformation. They have a Facebook site that you can sign up to and they also have a 21 day weight loss eating plan which I have found absolutely amazing. They also have workouts you can pay for but maybe with you back might not be appropriate. But check them out they have taught me everything I need to know about healthy eating:-)

Good luck

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Libbyoverton For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Hi Shelle - I think you look great already but I know the feeling of wanting to fit into old clothes. I took my measurement this morning and they're pretty much the same as yours give or take a centimetre but I'm a short a$$ so I look a bit rounder.

Have you thought about yoga? I'm doing it 2-3 times a week and have noticed changes already to my body, it's not a cardio work out but it definitely works on toning, strength and balance.

Enjoy your LSL - sounds divine!
    Thanks Babyla! I have done a tiny bit of yoga in the past and did enjoy it, what type do you do? I did Iyengar but I don't think I could do that now because of the shoulder stands and things. If there was a more "gentle" one I'd definitely give that a go...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    Oooooh, there's lots of really good core strengthening and balance games on the Wii Fit! I think you'll really like them. There's also yoga poses which are good, too, if you can do them.

Don't worry too much about your Wii Fit age, it's based entirely on how well you can do their tests. I've had one for years and I've gotten really good at the tests, even when I was at my heaviest, it would tell me my Wii Fit age is -10 years lol! The worst I've gotten recently was -3 years because the walking test always screws me up except that one time I got it perfect!
    Haha well that's good to hear - I was a bit miffed because it seemed to be based on only 1 test, and it took me most of the test just to work out how to do it so it just didn't seem fair, but it didn't give me an option of re-doing it (unless I went through the whole introduction and weighing process again. I'm too impatient for that!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Thanks Babyla! I have done a tiny bit of yoga in the past and did enjoy it, what type do you do? I did Iyengar but I don't think I could do that now because of the shoulder stands and things. If there was a more "gentle" one I'd definitely give that a go...
    I started with Iyengar which I found great for learning about how a pose should feel and using props to make sure your alignment is right - it's really good for beginners for these reasons. I need to use props so knowing how to use them in other classes has been great. Now I'm doing a Hatha class - pretty classical yoga, gentle and really restorative. I always go at my own pace and the studio I go to is really good at making sure there's no competitive vibe. I only started again at the end of last year and I'm starting to see a difference already in how I'm feeling, flexibility and tone. I have 0 flexibility so it can be a real challenge for me but I'm going to persevere because I know it's what my body needs.