+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lunchboxes

I'll have to check that one out!
    Deceptively delicious is based on adding puréed vegies or fruit to everyday dishes. So butter cake with pumpkin, brownies with avocado etc. my kids are now eating vegies I'd never have a chance of getting into them otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Lunchboxes

What is this 'fruit break' you all speak of??

Man, I'm gonna get a rude shock when DD goes to school in a few years. No eggs, no nuts, no whatever, mystical fruit breaks...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lunchboxes

Fruit break is a small break the younger kids have where they eat a small peice of fruit, cause the morning period is so long for the little kids, & they have something yummy to simulate their brains for learning !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Lunchboxes

Small bag of fruit or a few crackers with cheese for 'fruit break'
    Today it was half an orange and a handful of grapes
    lunch today was banana sandwich , the other half of the orange and more grapes and a muslie bar .

I actually don't know if they have a recess ? Lol haven't asked ? If they do I guess he eats the small snack at that stage ....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Allergies do seem to be on the rise. I do wonder what will happen in the future when there are so many blanket bans on various types of foods and ingredients that it makes it virtually impossible to pack a lunchbox, esp when some (most) kids are fussy eaters to begin with. I wonder if we'll go down the route of the compulsory school cafeteria.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Lunchboxes

This is kind of off topic, but I'm wondering how many other schools use 'sweet treats' as rewards for good behaviour? My dd's class (prep) has a sweet treat or outside play, and while it doesn't bother me so much I found it surprising as most schools are so strict on healthy eating that I wouldn't have thought they'd use lollies as a reward.
    There is a ban on peanuts and tree nuts in my dd's class but it doesn't bother me, dd's younger brother is allergic to peanuts so we're used to it and it does mean she misses out on alot at home too. It's just the way it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Lunchboxes

Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    So I have a school and kindy lunch box to pack and I am so stuck for ideas. I used to be so organised with this sort of stuff but its all escaped me. So apart from fruit what do you put in your childs lunch box?
    Check out the page Balance Nutrition on Facebook. She has some great ideas for kids lunch boxes : ) Definitely worth taking a look at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It seems absurd that i can't send an egg and salad sandwich but other kids can bring chocolates, donuts and muelsi bars that contain eggs and nuts anyway

I think that its up to the parents to supply their children with healthy food but the school has the ability to play a big part in children's mindset.
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 23-03-2013 at 14:57.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lunchboxes

Blue Dragon, if it's any help our school has very strict rules on food, in relation to both nutrition and allergies. Yet we are still allowed to send products that contain eggs, just not whole eggs

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lunchboxes

When DD1 was in kindly it was so easy. They share fruit for morning tea and for lunch I packed a sandwich from a choice of ham and cheese, vegemite or cold ham and cheese homemade pizza. Last year in pre-primary it all changed half way through the year and she'd throw her lunch out or bring it home half eaten. I got desperate and started adding things like muesli bars knowing at least she was eating something. Before she started year 1 this year I decided to take the "bento" approach where instead of the usual sandwich/roll and fruit situation I would give her a combination of bite sized pieces to look more appealing.
    My general rule of thumb is some : protein, carbs, raw vegie, fruit, dairy and a small homemade "dessert". An example of a lunchbox would be a boiled egg, wholemeal crackers, mini tomatoes, grapes, cubed cheese and a homemade wholemeal banana choc chip muffin. Most of this is bite sized and I also insert little plastic decorative picks into the things like the chopped up sausage and cubed cheese to make it more fun.