+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Lunchboxes

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Gosh, I understand banning nuts, but EGGS?? That's really cutting out a very healthy food for kids. My DD would get virtually no protein into her if I couldn't send her to school with a boiled egg or piece of quiche.
    There must be someone who is anaphylactic to eggs at the school.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

1979nic  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Lunchboxes

Gosh, I understand banning nuts, but EGGS?? That's really cutting out a very healthy food for kids. My DD would get virtually no protein into her if I couldn't send her to school with a boiled egg or piece of quiche.
    Just remember that for some kids eggs can be as deadly as nuts!

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lunchboxes

Have DD in Yr 1 and DS in Kindy this year. I pack them both the same.

Today's morning tea (packed in Tupperware sandwich keeper)
    Vita wheats with Vegemite x 2, small bunch grapes, 3 dried apricots, small handful sultanas and a homemade banana Pikelet.
    Today's lunch (packed in a 3 section lunch box) multigrain curried egg sandwich, small garden salad, piece homemade carrot cake, pineapple, strawberries and nectarine fruit 'kebabs' on toothpicks x 4.

Sometimes there will be leftovers but I'd rather pack them too much than not enough, hate to think of the being hungry!

I also only ever pack water for drinking. DD may have a lunch order Fridays and she has an lol or fruit juice with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, I am amazed what you all pack for your children.

DS1 just started school and I am at a total loss at what to pack for him. He is so so bad with vegetables there is no way he's going to eat them if I pack them. He just eats peach or banana for fruit.

I am thinking of baking my muffins with hidden veg in them and homemade chicken strips and meatballs for his lunch. Looking for easy recipes.

You mums are amazing. I have lots to learn.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Lunchboxes

Whole eggs are banned at our school too.

I'm not looking forward to the day a child turns up who has an anaphylactic reaction to wheat, rice, milk or bananas. They might have to reassess their policies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Lunchboxes

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Whole eggs are banned at our school too.

I'm not looking forward to the day a child turns up who has an anaphylactic reaction to wheat, rice, milk or bananas. They might have to reassess their policies.
    There is a child care centre with 130 kids in our area that has one child who is severely anaphylactic to wheat. The entire centre is a nut, egg and gluten free centre!
    No wheat products at all. The manager also has coeliacs disease and I've been told she pushed for it so she could eat the lunches! Lol.
    Our DD has a wheat allergy and we were going to send her because of this reason but chose FDC instead.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lunchboxes

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    There is a child care centre with 130 kids in our area that has one child who is severely anaphylactic to wheat. The entire centre is a nut, egg and gluten free centre!
    No wheat products at all. The manager also has coeliacs disease and I've been told she pushed for it so she could eat the lunches! Lol.
    Our DD has a wheat allergy and we were going to send her because of this reason but chose FDC instead.

And if another child comes along with a rice allergy?!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lunchboxes

I send
    Popper - apple or apple-blackcurrant
    Yoghurt
    Sandwich
    Cheese ham crackers
    Biscuits (whatever kind I've picked for this week)
    Cut fruit

If DD1 is lucky she might get a muffin. Dd2 gets no muffin lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Some of the kids here are extremely well fed haha. My DS eats me out of house and home and I think he'd struggle with some of those. I try as best as I can to make sure he's getting different things and tend to give him a rye bread sandwich or foccacia or wrap, fruit, raw veg, cheese, crackers, dips, something baked if I've been bothered lol. He's only allowed water as drinks.

Chicken/turkey, seeds, yoghurt, tuna, tofu.... there are LOADS of foods even higher in protein than eggs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

1979nic  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lunchboxes

ds just started kindy a fortnight ago
    so far I'm just working on giving him food he'll eat!!

so far it's been
    - water bottle
    - juice bottle
    - cheese or jam sandwich/es
    - whole apple sliced
    - strawberries or grapes
    - rice crackers

I aim to get more adventurous next term lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast